My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Calling Antonia Forest Fans

24 replies

TarquinGyrfalcon · 27/08/2019 13:30

I’m in the middle of a huge declutter and find myself in the fortunate position of having a number of duplicates.

They are actually bound photocopies that Sue Sims (Antonia Forest’s) executive used to sell in the days when they weren’t being published. (Photo attached)
They are a little bit awkward but entirely readable - I can still remember my joy the day they arrived when I was finally able to fill in the missing gaps in my Marlow knowledge.

DH refers to them (Gollum style) as the precious books. Mind you, I can’t moan as he sourced and bought them for me.

I’d like to give them away to fellow Forest lovers (price of postage would be much appreciated)

I probably won’t be able to post any out until next week.

The titles are
The Marlows and the traitor
Falconer’s Lure
Run away home
Peter’s Room

Somewhere, lurking I may also have a duplicate paperback of The Thuggary Affair.

I’ll check back later to see if anyone is interested.

Calling Antonia Forest Fans
OP posts:
TarquinGyrfalcon · 27/08/2019 13:44

That should say Antonia Forest’s executor in paragraph two.

OP posts:
TarquinGyrfalcon · 27/08/2019 19:14

Just bumping this in case any AF fans are around

OP posts:
akkakk · 30/08/2019 16:03

@TarquinGyrfalcon

If this offer is still available - I would love to take you up on it - happy to pay postage...

TarquinGyrfalcon · 30/08/2019 16:09

Yes of course - would you like them all?

OP posts:
akkakk · 01/09/2019 15:42

Sorry - out yesterday!
Yes please - will send you a message!
many thanks

HumphreyCobblers · 01/09/2019 15:44

I am too late!

Enjoy.

saltedcaramelhotchoc · 01/09/2019 15:45

Oh! Too late. Enjoy though;).

HumphreyCobblers · 01/09/2019 15:45

I can't wait until DD is old enough for Antonia Forest. She has loved the books I have shared with her so far. Except Jill's Gymkana, for some inexplicable reason!

TarquinGyrfalcon · 01/09/2019 17:19

Sorry to those who were too late.

I was a bit worried when no one responded for a few days. Despite the great declutter I had resigned myself to keeping them as I couldn’t contemplate the thought of throwing them away.

OP posts:
HumphreyCobblers · 01/09/2019 19:29

I have just found a good copy of Ptee's room on Amazon and asked DH to get it for me for Christmas. It is my favourite and I haven't read it since the library copy when I was about fifteen!

BellsaRinging · 01/09/2019 19:33

So great to hear these are still read and enjoyed-my eldest son has refused them :(. I live them and re-read regularly.

HumphreyCobblers · 01/09/2019 19:36

Wasn't it Lucy Mangen who called AD the Jane Austen of school stories. She wasn't wrong. They are superb, and it was one of the best things about Mumsnet to find other people who also loved her.

lakeswimmer · 01/09/2019 19:37

Sorry to have missed this offer - I was a big fan growing up but I can't find the books I had as a child despite a thorough search of my Mum's house! Most of the ones you listed I haven't read as I either couldn't find copies or they were out of print in the 80's when I was trying to collect them.

Anyone know where I could get any copies of AFs books? I'd love to re-read them.

HumphreyCobblers · 01/09/2019 19:46

Autumn terms is easily available on Amazon, you can sometimes find the other copies for a reasonable price. Girls Gone By have reissued some of them.

Once here, a regular mumsnetter sent me her precious copies to read and return. I was so grateful.

TarquinGyrfalcon · 01/09/2019 21:11

I've been lucky in small charity shops a couple of times - even though I have a full set I still always check likely looking book shelves just in case - makes me feel like Nicola when she finds her falconry book.

OP posts:
lakeswimmer · 03/09/2019 21:20

Thanks for the suggestions.

akkakk · 06/09/2019 11:34

A big thank you @TarquinGyrfalcon - a lovely delivery this morning with hours of fun and excitement ahead...

I know that not everyone understands the pleasure of books / certain authors / collecting memories / etc. but for those who do, they will understand the amazing pleasure there is in just sitting looking at them on my desk - knowing that there is hours of pleasure ahead in reading / re-reading them...

thank you so much!

TarquinGyrfalcon · 06/09/2019 19:45

I’m glad they arrived.
As a fellow Forest fan I know you will love them. Have you read them before or are they new to you? If they are new to you I'm almost jealous 😀

OP posts:
akkakk · 06/09/2019 22:50

I have read some but not these ones! Grin

RustyBear · 06/09/2019 23:01

The Thuggery Affair is currently available from Girls Gone By www.ggbp.co.uk/product/af-the-thuggery-affair-by-antonia-forest/
or Badger Books www.badgerbooks.co.uk/antonia-forest-9-c.asp

SophyStantonLacy · 15/09/2019 10:57

Too late

TarquinGyrfalcon · 15/09/2019 19:42

Sorry @SophyStantonLacy

I am still in the midst of the great declutter so may have a couple of others going spare .... watch this space.

OP posts:
TarquinGyrfalcon · 18/09/2019 19:19

So, I also have copies (bound photocopies) of the two historical stories The Players Boy and The Player and the Rebels which are duplicates of those I own.

@HumphreyCobblers if you don’t have these would you like them as you were second person to ask?

OP posts:
Witchend · 19/09/2019 19:02

The historical ones are my favourites. I'd recommend anyone to snap them up if they don't have them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.