My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Those detective / mystery books with mathematical puzzles they mentioned on the Today programme on Sat?

6 replies

TheFlannelsAreBreeding · 04/06/2018 11:18

I heard (sleepily) the author and a mathematician talking about a series of mystery / detective children’s books on the Today programme at the weekend. I don’t know what time. Did anyone catch it and know the ones they were talking about? I have a dd who loves puzzles and mystery stories, and I think she’d like these.

OP posts:
Applepress · 05/06/2018 17:45

Maths Quest perhaps? There are four of these, and my son loved them between the ages of around 7-9.

pollyhemlock · 05/06/2018 18:02

Probably the Ruby Redfort series by Lauren Child. Starts with Look into My Eyes.

TheFlannelsAreBreeding · 05/06/2018 18:03

Thanks, that looks good but it's not quite what I heard - I think it involved a girl genius and a test to join an elite team...

OP posts:
pollyhemlock · 05/06/2018 22:44

Yes, that’s what the Ruby Redfort books are about. She is a genius at solving codes and gets asked to join the mysterious Spectrum agency. The Today programme sometimes uses puzzles from the books on their Puzzle of the Day thing, so it is quite likely to have been that.

Ricekrispie22 · 06/06/2018 05:34

Was it either Usborne Puzzle Adventures or the Black Hand Gang?

TheFlannelsAreBreeding · 06/06/2018 21:06

polly We cross posted and I only just realised - yes, Ruby Redfort is the name I heard, thanks!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.