My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

The best children books of 2017 for toddlers (boy,4)?

13 replies

StayCalmMary · 28/12/2017 21:42

Really want to expand my toddler's library for 2018! He is 4 and loves robots, dinosaurs or anything once he does not see it as girly!! (I am working on it)

OP posts:
My2favboys · 28/12/2017 21:51

Oh my 4 year old son is loving supertato book atm and also the little bear books.

RicStar · 28/12/2017 21:58

Ds likes penguin blue / odd dog out etc. The Man on the moon (series) + Dougal the deep sea diver. Still likes Alfie and Annie Rose and all the Lauren Child picture books.

MmmmmmBop · 28/12/2017 22:02

Is it only books from 2017 that you're interested in? If not, the Oliver Jeffers books are great, particularly The Way Back Home, which has a spaceship and an alien and a sweet, funny story. And George O'Connor's If I Had A Velociraptor is great for dino-loving kids. It also has a dino-loving girl as protagonist without making any kind of overt point about that, so it might help with the nacent sexism too!

Imstickingwiththisone · 28/12/2017 22:04

4 isn't a toddler.

peachypips · 28/12/2017 22:16

Creaturepedia!

NannyR · 28/12/2017 22:23

These aren't 2017 books but they are popular with four year olds;
The pirates next door by Johnny duddle
Any of the Richard scarry books, particularly "a day at the airport"
Five minutes peace, can't remember the author but it's a classic about an elephant in the bath.
Supertato as mentioned above.
Mog the cat stories.
Winnie the witch.

Hobbes8 · 28/12/2017 22:25

Oi Dog and Oi Frog are v good

BikeRunSki · 28/12/2017 22:43

Anything by Oliver Jeffers, but particularly “Stuck” (not 2017 though).

Your thread title is misleading. A toddler is 1-2 ish, a 4 year old is a preschooler or even school age.

ojell · 29/12/2017 09:23

My standby birthday presents this year for classmates turning 5 have been ‘Rosie Revere, Engineer’ and ‘Ada Twist, Scientist’, which would both have the advantage of helping you in “working on it”!

QueenBee2 · 04/01/2018 06:50

Try The Honey Bees Reward by Paul Vagg, really liked it.

DoraChance · 04/01/2018 06:53

I have a robot obsessed four year old. Robot Rumpus is one of our favourites. Wendell and the Robots is also good, and I think Usbourne do a book of robot stories.

Sleephead1 · 04/01/2018 07:20

My little boy is 4 he loves books he cant read yet so these are onrs i read to him. these aren't all 2017 but he's enjoyed them all. All Oliver Jeffers his favourites are lost and found, up and down and how to catch a star. He loves the hairy mclary books also likes old bear series, he loves all Julie Donaldson just got zog and the flying doctor's for Christmas. We also got from the book people a set of 20 Dr Seuss books and he really enjoying these they are funny and have some real tounge twisters. He also got the new jolly postman for Christmas he has all of them now and he got a set of 10 paddington books we went to see the movie just before Christmas which he loves so is very into paddington at the moment. Also funny bones and there is a series called duffy and the little red train he loves these Recent ones we have had from libary are hoot owl, what's next door by Nicola o Byrne, Charles Darwin by Jennifer themed really interesting and lots of pictures of animals.

liquidrevolution · 05/01/2018 23:20

My 3.5 non girly DD is obsessed with 'the runaway dinner' which i bought after it was recommended by one of these threads.

Night pirates would be a good option too- has a boy that runs away with a band of feisty girl pirates.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.