My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Searching for a lovely illustrated fairytale collection

3 replies

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar · 24/10/2017 16:09

I've been searching for a while for a big illustrated collection of fairytales, but can't find what I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask here for recommendations.

What I want is essentially the type of storybook you see in films - big, leather bound, beautifully illustrated. The type of book that could be handed down through a family for years. Preferably with classic stories, hans christian anderson, grimm etc.

I've found a couple of books that almost fit the bill, but either they have very few illustrations or they're aimed more at adults. Can anyone recommend a book or books that might fit the bill? Any suggestions gratefully received!

OP posts:
mrssmiling · 27/10/2017 09:12

Not sure about leather bound....but have you looked at the Folio Society?
This looks lovely www.foliosociety.com/book/BGR/grimm-s-fairy-tales
There are lots of used copies on Ebay - including Grimm, Perrault, Andersen etc with beautiful illustrations - Rackham, Dulac, Heath Robinson.

timtam23 · 28/10/2017 23:52

Hilda Boswell's Treasury of Fairy Tales has beautiful illustrations, it will be long out of print but if you don't mind second-hand there are usually copies on eBay. Her treasury of poetry is also an absolute gem of poems and illustrations, I adored it as a child (our copy fell apart after being read too much & was thrown away, amazingly I found a lovely copy in a charity shop a few years ago)

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar · 31/10/2017 06:52

Thank you, I'll check them out!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.