My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Children's books

Celebrate 30th anniversary of Five Minutes' Peace and share the little things that make being a parent amazing for a chance to win the book + a pampering hamper

88 replies

UrsulaMumsnet · 08/02/2016 14:36

It's 30 years since Jill Murphy's picture book classic Five Minutes' Peace was published, and it's just as funny and accurate a portrayal of family life as when it first came out!

Time-poor mum Mrs Large just wants a few minutes of peace and quiet in her hot, foamy, ever so bubbly bubble bath, with her newspaper, a cup of tea in her favourite mug, a plate of toast and a tempting cherry-topped cupcake!

But with Lester, Laura and the baby being as bouncy and boisterous as ever, Mrs Large finds her peace to be very short-lived. In fact she manages a scant three minutes and forty-five seconds!

To celebrate the anniversary of this family favourite, Walker Books are giving five lucky Mumsnetters the chance to win a Five Minutes' Peace pamper kit, each containing a special anniversary edition of Five Minutes' Peace, plus everything you need for a relaxing soak in the tub!

Just share the little things that make being a parent amazing (in spite of never having five minutes to yourself!) and we'll enter you into a draw to win.

This discussion is sponsored by Walker Books and will close on 7th March.

Celebrate 30th anniversary of Five Minutes' Peace and share the little things that make being a parent amazing for a chance to win the book + a pampering hamper
OP posts:
JS06 · 11/02/2016 12:18

I love it when rare compliments come my way. Yesterday I got one! My 17 yr old daughter was on her 11th out of 12 lifts purely for her yesterday - school, volunteering, hairdressers and various other things. She did acknowledge it in the car and said 'you're amazing Mum'. I nearly crashed with the surprise!

wallers5 · 12/02/2016 08:36

My two little girls hugging each other & then me. Their love of our farm animals inspite of no time & lack of money & time.

Debsie123 · 14/02/2016 09:57

Seeing my children giggle and being happy, seeing the pleasure on their face when I read to them and the lovely cuddles I get even from my teenage daughter, make all the tough times and sleepless nights worth every second. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Belmo · 16/02/2016 10:05

Bedtime snuggles with dd, when she says 'I love you mummy' - there's nothin like it!

todormirchev · 16/02/2016 13:32

For me parenting is a wonderful journey, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. From the first smile of my kids or the joy that their first word brings and every little milestone ever since, makes this unforgettable and uncomparable experience :)

KarenCBC · 20/02/2016 09:47

Occasional, out of desperation ds sleeps in our bed when he's been waking lots at night and refusing to go back to sleep. I'm always pretty annoyed with him by the time we resort to this but him waking me up with a kiss and cuddle next morning erases that in a moment! Just magical.

Susangilley7 · 22/02/2016 16:04

It is exhausting, but exhilarating at the same time. I love the cuddles and the unexpected "I love you's". I wouldn't change things for the world.

SorchaMumsnet · 09/03/2016 10:15

Hello all! Thanks for sharing all your little things that make being a parent amazing. This competition is now closed and the winners have been picked:
CMOTDibbler, barricade, Booklover123, carz1985 and soneon. Congratulations!

barricade · 16/03/2016 19:31

Just want to say HUUUUGGGGGGE thank you to Sorcha, Mumsnet, and Walker Books for the fantastic competition news. Just received the lovingly packaged book and 'Five Minute's Peace' pamper kit today. Absolutely fantastic.

Thank U!!!!!!!

Smile

barricade · 16/03/2016 19:34

... that should have read 'Five Minutes' Peace'. (incorrect punctuation use)

carz1985 · 16/03/2016 20:09

My package arrived today too. Thankyou so much my kids can't wait to read the book and am looking forward to a nice Pamper :-)

Booklover123 · 16/03/2016 20:33

My lucky day too! I just received my beautiful gift box as well! I am so delighted with it, it was so beautifully packaged and I am delighted with all my goodies. Now to try and get five minutes peace for a relaxing bath with a cuppa and some of the choccies!
Thankyou Sorcha,mumsnet and of course walker books. Very much appreciated.

WarmHugs · 16/03/2016 20:53

DS thinks the sun shines out of my backside (DD is often found rolling her eyes at me)

I love the wonderful things he says to me to declare his love. "You is the most beautiful person in the world"

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.