My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Children's books

Celebrate 30th anniversary of Five Minutes' Peace and share the little things that make being a parent amazing for a chance to win the book + a pampering hamper

88 replies

UrsulaMumsnet · 08/02/2016 14:36

It's 30 years since Jill Murphy's picture book classic Five Minutes' Peace was published, and it's just as funny and accurate a portrayal of family life as when it first came out!

Time-poor mum Mrs Large just wants a few minutes of peace and quiet in her hot, foamy, ever so bubbly bubble bath, with her newspaper, a cup of tea in her favourite mug, a plate of toast and a tempting cherry-topped cupcake!

But with Lester, Laura and the baby being as bouncy and boisterous as ever, Mrs Large finds her peace to be very short-lived. In fact she manages a scant three minutes and forty-five seconds!

To celebrate the anniversary of this family favourite, Walker Books are giving five lucky Mumsnetters the chance to win a Five Minutes' Peace pamper kit, each containing a special anniversary edition of Five Minutes' Peace, plus everything you need for a relaxing soak in the tub!

Just share the little things that make being a parent amazing (in spite of never having five minutes to yourself!) and we'll enter you into a draw to win.

This discussion is sponsored by Walker Books and will close on 7th March.

Celebrate 30th anniversary of Five Minutes' Peace and share the little things that make being a parent amazing for a chance to win the book + a pampering hamper
OP posts:
laminart · 09/02/2016 07:08

Enjoy your precious little one to the max; just once, when you pass a mirror, have a bright bright lipstick handy - apply it and give your reflection a kiss 😘 Oh, and always always have a bag of fun size chocs in the cupboard!!

lilacclery · 09/02/2016 07:48

My ds 2 told me on the morning of my Christmas party that 'you gorgus mammy you gorgus' made my day

soneon · 09/02/2016 08:00

My brother and his wife haven't been able to conceive and I am often reminded of the fact that though I might long for 'Five minutes peace", they are longing for sleepless nights and cuddles which must last all day (as the baby just won't be put down!)

So fir me, the most amazing thing about being a parent is the immense privilege it is to watch and help someone grow up.

I have 4 daughters and each has their own unique personality and quirks. It is a blessing and a challenge to see how they handle life and how best to support them.

And in turn, I learn so much about myself as my decisions are constantly reflected back to me through their attitudes!

Anusia86 · 09/02/2016 08:24

you can raise and observe how is changing new human bean - what is more rewarding?

cathisherwood · 09/02/2016 09:19

The amazing thing about being a parent is seeing your offspring being brilliant parents to their own children knowing you've brought them up accepting that's the most important part of life

Lores · 09/02/2016 10:40

I look at my now 8 years old boy and I remember vividly the day he was born he kept one eye shut - like he was winking the whole day :)

Stujobohm · 09/02/2016 10:42

I love snuggles and cuddles and squishes and huggles. I love it when you say love you and they say love you back.... Makes your heart melt X

museumworker · 09/02/2016 10:53

It's just amazing when they show you affection - my heart melts when my toddler says 'I really lobe you mummy' (no v's pronounced yet!) and my baby gives me a kiss (usually snotty and slimy!)

ericasplawnyk · 09/02/2016 12:01

Now my daughter has grown up and has her own children its wonderful when she talks to me about being a mum and we share memories of her own childhood.

SARMITAGE4 · 09/02/2016 12:22

My kids happiness is my happiness.. i may never be able to enter the toilet alone, without a companion following me, to complain about the whiff!!.. www.mumsnet.com/emo/te/9.gif.pagespeed.ce.TUei7x3YMQ.gif
But I wouldn't swop my little mad house and our family,for all the tea in china. The main thing that makes me pleased to be a mum, is just to see my kids happy. To see them smiling and laughing with their friends and a nice cuddle with them before bed. My kids are very kind and friendly and that makes me very proud.

SuzCG · 09/02/2016 13:12

The best job in the world - despite you getting no training for it, no holidays from it and paid only in love & laughter. Mummy is my favourite word in the whole world!

CheeseEMouse · 09/02/2016 13:35

I love it when the toddler makes the baby laugh - it's ever so sweet. I also like it when you get an unexpected hug from the toddler or when she is randomly singing to herself - it makes me smile

shrunkenhead · 09/02/2016 14:12

Even when you're looking and feeling rubbish they tell you you're looking "booful mummy!" and even when it feels like all you've done all day is shout, bark, referee they tell you "you're the best mummy in the world.....And ( whisper don't tell Daddy)you're the best!" makes all the tiredness and lack of "me" time worthwhileSmile

mazgoli · 09/02/2016 18:37

I'm a mum to six grown up children and I can only remember the wonderful things - seriously ladies, you won't remember feeling exhausted, or asking yourself what you did to deserve this. Five minutes peace was one of our absolute favourites when my children were small and I'm reading the same dog-eared (correct spelling?) copy to my four beautiful grandchildren. It would be so amazing to win a special anniversary edition for the new generation of our family.

katienana · 09/02/2016 18:44

I love seeing the world as a new exciting place full of opportunity, wonder and surprises. I love having a reason to build sandcastles, an excuse to go down the big scary slide, and motivation to look for fun everywhere.
Best of all I love bedtime and sharing stories I loved as a child with my little boy.

blogmumjd · 09/02/2016 20:13

All the hugs are amazing, but they are getting fewer and far between now that my boys are getting older

nerysw · 09/02/2016 20:28

Random moments when they do something kind for each other or give me a cuddle for no reason.

Hygge · 09/02/2016 21:01

I went to check on my son last night. He's six, and was asleep when I went in to look at him.

And in his sleep he did a big smile and said "Mum" before snuggling back down. I don't know if he knew I was there but just hadn't properly woken, or if he was dreaming, but that was lovely. A big smile and saying "Mum" without even opening his eyes, made me feel all warm and happy.

We love the Five Minutes Peace book. It reminds me of the the time when DS was about two years old, and decided to join me in the bath. It was meant to be my five minutes of peace, but that never works out.

My book was soaked, DS was fully clothed when he got in with me, and since he was in his Ben and Holly phase he was pretending to be that giant fish they try to catch. That fish has a name, and this is important to the story.

After about ten minutes of us splashing and laughing and DS pretending to be the giant fish, and me shouting about it, DH came in from outside and said that I could be heard shouting "I'm in the bath with Big Bad Barry" from several gardens away Blush

Tigerlily13 · 09/02/2016 22:28

Sleepy cuddles with my 3 boys are just perfect ❤️

skippink · 10/02/2016 09:17

When we're just doing normal family things and looking at my children and realising how fortunate I am to have these amazing children..feeling so proud I could burst! 😀

teabagsmummy · 10/02/2016 09:29

I love being a parent to my ds who is 9 . I never get a minutes peace he always wants to show me something. Which makes me see the world again through the eyes of a child

RunningKatie · 10/02/2016 21:33

I love eavesdropping on my two dc's. They sit nattering away and it just makes me all warm and fuzzy. At 3 and 5 years old we are definitely in the golden time where they love each other dearly and miss each other when they are apart, nothing is better than hearing them giggling with laughter together, apart from when they are both asleep, that time is pretty awesome too

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Fleur78 · 11/02/2016 11:04

I love how positive kids can be. My daughter seems to wake up on the right side of bed every morning. On the first of Feb she cheered it's the first day of February I'm so excited it's my teddys birthday tomorrow. She's only six so I told her I would bake a cake and make flapjacks so we could have a party. Needless to say on the second of February she announced it was the best day ever in her life and she'd had a perfect day a school when we ate cakes and flapjacks after school.

asuwere · 11/02/2016 11:10

The cuddles are the best, even in the middle of the night, when they give me a big cuddle, I love it. :)

cboardman · 11/02/2016 11:47

I have three gorgeous children, each one of them unique and special in every way and I can't imagine life without them. They grow up so quickly every moment should be savoured but they never stop being your babies no matter how old they are!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.