My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Greek myths & Legends

8 replies

mankyscotslass · 23/05/2013 19:03

DD age 9 is looking at Greek myths and legends at school this term.

When DS1 was doing this topic we borrowed books from our library, but now the library has been closed, and we need to buy one really.

I had a look on Amazon and there is loads of choice, but I was hoping someone could recommend one or two in particular I would be very grateful.

She is an able reader if that makes any difference.

OP posts:
Takver · 23/05/2013 19:39

DD very much enjoyed Atticus the Storyteller's 100 Greek Myths (great when she was reading Percy Jackson!)

Rosemary Sutcliff's retellings of the Iliad & Odyssey are also excellent, but I'd say best for a bit older than 9 (due to high bloodshed content, rather than language!)

tumbletumble · 23/05/2013 20:16

When my brother was that age he loved Roger Lancelyn Green. That was a while ago though!

lostintoys · 23/05/2013 22:27

Lucy Coats series of Greek Bests and Heroes is very popular here and we've got a lovely edition of Greek myths by Geraldine McCaughrean, published by Orchard Books. It may be out of print but you should be able to find a used copy.

mankyscotslass · 24/05/2013 08:13

Brilliant, thanks Flowers

OP posts:
iseenodust · 24/05/2013 13:56

Atticus the storyteller is also available as a CD. We like it in the car as the stories are short enough for a couple on the school run.

ravenousbugblatterbeast · 25/05/2013 13:03

I've just come across these Greek Myths podcasts which might be interesting. It's by a friend of a FB friend, haven't listened to them myself yet.

TenthMuse · 28/05/2013 20:17

Another vote for Atticus the Storyteller. Used it as a teacher with Year 5 children, and they loved it.

KikeriFreedomCastle · 31/05/2013 09:20

A good list of books on Greek myths, found on Minimus, that we've found useful.
www.minimus-etc.co.uk/SupportSheets/supportsheet1GreekMyths.pdf

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.