My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

mindee on bike without helmet

11 replies

zoeuk1 · 28/04/2006 19:39

one of the children i pick-up from school has started to ride to school on his bike. when i pick him up we walk/cycle home. on wed he had his bike with him and i asked him if he had a helmet. he said no and said he doesnt wear one. now should i ask his mum to get a helmet for him? would i be responsible if he fell and hurt his head? i wont let my ds ride his bike without a helmet. obviously his mum is ok with him not having one.

OP posts:
jellyjelly · 28/04/2006 19:41

I would assume that as you would be looking after the child you would be as he is in your care. Not sure what else you could do, i would ask the parents if they wanted to get one or ask if you could get one and then they pay you back so that the time isnt the issue.

mumlove · 28/04/2006 19:44

At my dd school they are not allowed to ride to school without one.

zoeuk1 · 28/04/2006 19:47

not sure if i want to pay out for a helmet for him. i only have him one day a week after school. i will ask his mum to get him one i think. i'll explain to her that if he got injured i would be responsible.

OP posts:
hulababy · 28/04/2006 19:47

Can you just make sure the parents know that he will not be allowed to ride his bike in your supervision without a helmet? Just mention insurance or something.

zoeuk1 · 28/04/2006 19:49

mumlove, theres no way i let my ds whos 7 ride without one. it only takes a second to lose control and fall off. obviously they all think that they wont ever fall off and crack their heads open,but i do try to explain to the kids how important a helmet is. i will have a word with his mum but shes a bit odd!!

OP posts:
zoeuk1 · 28/04/2006 19:50

thats a good idea. i could say im not insured if he isnt wearing one.

OP posts:
threebob · 28/04/2006 19:50

Is it illegal not to wear one in the UK?

jellyjelly · 28/04/2006 19:59

I just ment you pay then get the money back in case she says 'i havent got time' or soemthing then you can say 'well thats ok just going there myself do you want me to get one.'

zoeuk1 · 28/04/2006 20:08

i think i'll see if she'll get one for him first. i just wish parents would think about their kids safety more. like i said, my ds wont go anywhere without one if hes on his bike. and he doesnt even question me, he just automatically puts it on. i'll deffo speak to her.

OP posts:
Isyhan · 29/04/2006 08:33

Just tell him he cant ride the bike without one and let her sort it out when her child is unhappy about it. Youre not a surrogate or foster mother.

DominiConnor · 29/04/2006 09:14

I'd flatly refuse to look after that kid. If & when they hurt themselves you will be blamed and I'm sad to say I wouldn't argue with that judgement.

My view of those parents is rather less than positive.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.