My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminder's Club:Whats thedifference between "Good" & "Outstanding" - Parents opinion welcome as well as minders...

68 replies

katymac · 11/02/2006 14:34

I have to do a self assessment form for my OFSTED visit

I am in a quandary what is "Good" what is "Outstanding" how would I justify either grading - just because I think I am "Outstanding"...am I? what would make me "Outstanding"? and what would be "Good"

Note I am rejecting the idea that I am either satisfactory/unsatisfactory or poor

It's a very hard decision to make as no matter how good I am at something there is always room fro improvement and I really strive to do my best.

What does Mumsnet think?

OP posts:
ThePrisoner · 11/02/2006 15:05

This is something that I worry about when I next get inspected. If you grade yourself as "Outstanding", then does OFSTED think we're bigheaded? If you grade yourself as "Good", but OFSTED think we're "Outstanding", will they mark us up?

If it's of any use, katymac, I was told that you can still achieve a better grade in an area where there is room for improvement so long as you know what needs to be done and are taking steps to implement it. (This was information from an OFSTED person, but we know how inconsistent they can be!)

Have you got a "Good" grading from your previous inspection? If yes, and if you have improved certain areas, then you should be justified in upgrading yourself??

HellyBelly · 11/02/2006 16:04

As I mentioned the other day, I didn't put any outstandings down for myself because a) I am a new childminder and didn't want to seem big headed and b) I hate this sort of thing and always downgrade myself.

I still achieved 2 outstandings so they obviously can mark you up (I'd prefer to be marked up than marked down )

Do you have the wording to what they put as the meaning for each category? If not, let me know and I'll put it on here for you.

Good luck next week

katymac · 11/02/2006 16:09

I got a "Good" when that was the highest mark OFSTED gave - I am better than I was - but is that good enough?

Hellybelly - not sure what you mean by the wording...do let me know

OP posts:
Isyhan · 11/02/2006 16:14

I heard that outstanding means you exceed the standard above and beyond expectation. With the Care Standards commission of which I have more experience if they marked a particular area as outstanding then it meant you were doing something above and beyond expectation and it was a benchmark for other places to follow.
I think they will expect you to put good because if you put you are excellent in all areas they will really quiz you no end about it or try their hardest to prove you wrong. I would if I was an inspector anyway! Remember some of the inspectors will have masters degrees in education etc not that they know how to childmind but that wont matter they think they will know.

HellyBelly · 11/02/2006 16:14

just getting the descriptions for you!

HellyBelly · 11/02/2006 16:19

Right, there may be other more helpful bits of wording somewhere on their website but this is what is on my report for my inspection in December. It's under a heading 'The key inspection judgements and what they mean'. I think it's more to do with what you think now rather than a comparision to previous inspections?

May not be any help but thought I'd post it anyway.

Outstanding: this aspect of the provision is of exceptionally high quality

Good: this aspect of the provision is strong

Satisfactory: this aspect of the provision is sound

Inadequate: this aspect of the provision is not good enough

katymac · 11/02/2006 16:19

I have put Outstanding for organisation - I have 14 under 5's currently, 9 spaces and 4 employees

I am a Network Childminder so my standards are already high

I think my organisation is great

OP posts:
katymac · 11/02/2006 16:20

You see I think my childminding is of an exceptionally high quality and I have very little locally which is even nearly my standard

OP posts:
HellyBelly · 11/02/2006 16:21

Good for you!

Would it help to have the seperate subheadings or are you ok now?

Isyhan · 11/02/2006 16:22

i think you should put outstanding then. just be prepared to justify it.

Tan1959 · 11/02/2006 16:22

Well Katymac - that is something to be proud of I would be....

katymac · 11/02/2006 17:44

I'm still not convinced......

OP posts:
katymac · 11/02/2006 19:24

Why am I outstanding

Health of the child: use gloves to change nappies, 1st aid trained, have individual towels for each child, wash hands before snack, meals, etc, research into the food I serve to ensure it is safe, make my own bread, have a comprehensive sickness & safety policy, maybe I'm only good?

OP posts:
Isyhan · 11/02/2006 19:45

sorry to be rude Katymac Im not trying to be, but as a parent Id just expect that and it does state those things in standards.

katymac · 11/02/2006 19:50

That's the problem I have

What is "Good"? What is "Outstanding"?

It's very nebulous - It's not written down

I am clearly more professional than some of my local competitors, and I'm also more expensive (and normally full) but does that make me "Outstanding" or a good salesperson?

OP posts:
katymac · 11/02/2006 19:52

The problem is that when my ladies were inspected the OFSTED lady suggested that I would be outstanding in 4 out of 5......and she would like to observe me playing with the children to make a decision about the 5th

But this is a different inspector and I know that she will have different standards

So it's not a quantifiable measure

OP posts:
Isyhan · 11/02/2006 19:53

Id forget about how full you are that could be to do with a lack of competition! sorry again. Id concentrate on what 'is it like for a child here' as OFSTED say in their literature.

katymac · 11/02/2006 19:54

Don't worry about being rude Isyhan - I'm really struggling with the whole concept of a "rating" as each persons veiw will be different

OP posts:
katymac · 11/02/2006 20:01

I read a report of someone locally who was "satisfactory" and realistically I wouldn't leave a cat there never mind a baby or child

It just seems so vague

OP posts:
HellyBelly · 12/02/2006 09:15

Katymac - do you really need to see a local report? Could any report with a mix of good and outstanding help?

HellyBelly · 12/02/2006 09:18

As I said before, I really wouldn't worry too much about the self assessment - that's only going to play a TINY part it in all. She'll grade you mainly on your answers to questions and how she sees you running your business, looking after the children.

katymac · 12/02/2006 09:24

HB - it's more that we will all be judged by different people with different values - who place different emphasis on different things

It's not standard - it's too objective

OP posts:
freshstart · 12/02/2006 09:30

Haha Im embarassed now I ticked outstanding on nearly all of them and didnt get any outstanding. I got good for all but very positive report.

I figured well we have to believe in ourselves dont we! LOL

katymac · 12/02/2006 09:30

freshstart - do you think a different inspector might have graged you differently?

OP posts:
freshstart · 12/02/2006 09:32

Im not sure - my inspector seemed to like me and had only positive things to say about me and the setting.

She actually said to me that Im doing everything really well with no recomendations for improvement but because I was new and only mind part time Good is the highest she could give.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.