My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Childminders Club: urgentish! Chickenpox

9 replies

Tan1959 · 21/01/2006 10:35

Hi

Mum of mindee telephoned me last night to say mindee has just presented Chickenpox rash (I knew he had been exposed to it 11 days ago) Now mum thinks he is now not contagious but I said he is - I have read that child contagious for two days before onset of rash and until last spot has scabbed over - how many days do you other childminders ask mum to keep child off - until last spot has scabbed over?

Thanks for any responses.

OP posts:
HappyMumof2 · 21/01/2006 10:38

Message withdrawn

Tan1959 · 21/01/2006 10:42

Thanks

OP posts:
joanna4 · 21/01/2006 10:48

Yes definately till last spot has scabbed if the child was at school same rules would apply!

ThePrisoner · 21/01/2006 11:51

Yep, till last spot scabbed over.

SoupDragon · 21/01/2006 13:18

Just to throw a spanner in the works, apparently, the last scabbed spot is Old Hat now and it's considered to be something like 5 days after the outset(although I don't know the actual no. of days).

agalch · 21/01/2006 13:53

I have in my policy document that they are excluded until last spot is crusted over and no longer weeping. I would maybe google it tho and check. I have my mindees parents sign at beginning of arrangement so they can't argue later.

HellyBelly · 21/01/2006 13:59

Soupdragon - that's what's in my policies and I started to panic when I saw this scabbing thing - think this needs confirming for sure - going to google I think!

nzshar · 21/01/2006 14:42

well just went to nhs direct site and they have a link to the Health Protection Agency site. The HPA site has a section called: Guidelines on the management of communicable diseases in schools and nurseries chickenpox;
"Exclusion period:
5 days from start of skin eruption"

So looks like the old "until all scabs have crusted" is a bit outdated now
HTH

babydales · 21/01/2006 18:00

The communicable diseases guidelines in my area state 'excluded until all spots have scabbed or 5 days whichever is longer'.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.