Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Broody hen?

Cakehead · 20/05/2010 11:40

For the last two days, one of my Rhodeys has been sitting on the next and getting very cross if she's moved off. I guess she's gone broody. I've managed to coax her out for food and drink a couple of times a day.
The other two lay eggs first thing in the morning, so I whip the eggs away fast. She's sitting on an empty next.
We have an Eglu, so I've just dislodged her and shut the door, so she can't get back in. She's fluffing herself up and grumbling, but what else can I do? I've read on Omlet that you can dip them in cool water to lower their body temperature. Sounds a bit harsh to me! Any one else got any ideas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cakehead · 20/05/2010 13:23

Actually, just seen the post a bit further down and that's helped!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ouchitreallyhurts · 20/05/2010 18:22

one of mine is attempting to get broody bless her but every time she has sat in the box for more than 30 mins she's oiked out and cold air puffed on her chest. I normally throw a hand ful of corn and she forgets to be a mardy moo then!
next year I'll put my broody's on fertilised eggs but this year too busy.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.