Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

anyone know where i can get a good wheel set to attach to the bottom of a bog standard shed to make it into a mobile chicken house?

BloodySmartarse · 01/09/2008 21:12

apologies for the endless housing search!!

have decided the hosue needs to be mobile, and needs to be big enough to 'grow into' (currently have 10 birds, more wanted)

the large houses i can find with wheel options are smiths 'sherwood' and littleacre's dartford. both are quite pricey tho, and as i want to also get a moveable (carry handles) walk in run large enough to keep the girls in if we go away for a short while... and a shed is easily enough converted, i want to find the most economical option (barring getting a shed that will be gnawed into by rats/fall down/knocked over by foxes)

where on earth would i look for a wheel set to stick on a shed tho?? cant think...

OP's posts:
Please
or

CSLG · 02/09/2008 13:10

We got some from a building suppliers - can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.

Please
or

BloodySmartarse · 02/09/2008 17:40

OK CSLG, THAnks for the tip... will look into builder suppliers now.

OP's posts:
Please
or

elmoandella · 02/09/2008 17:55

i have visions of you pushing chickens around in a pram with chicken coup on top

Please
or

CSLG · 02/09/2008 17:59

The pram idea might be a good one - very cute and you could take them out for a walk with you

Please
or

MatNanPlus · 02/09/2008 18:02

wheels

Measure the shed floor and make a sub floor to attach the wheels to and support the shed floor as most ashed floors re not build to be unsupported!

Please
or

elmoandella · 02/09/2008 18:02

wonder if daily walks would help egg production?

Please
or

BloodySmartarse · 02/09/2008 21:20

at pram full of chickens... im pretty odd but not quite that far gone yet. mind you, might give the village something to talk about for a while.... hehehe

those wheels look good matnanplus, thank you... but i need something much bigger i think. the ground they will be on is grassed and rutted and was hoping the wheels would take the house about a foot or so off the ground... any other ideas?? [cheeky]

OP's posts:
Please
or

BloodySmartarse · 02/09/2008 21:20

elmos, you sarky cow, bog off will ya?

OP's posts:
Please
or

elmoandella · 02/09/2008 21:26

if it helped egg production i'd do it. haven't had chickens since i was young. remember then being a bit fussy though.

i'd try anything that makes more eggs and bigger juicier chickens. [yummy lip licking emoticon] roast chicken with garlic and rosemary!

gotta be one of those old style silver cross ones. a twin one. so you could get a few at a time in it. otherwise you'd be back and forth all day giving them all equal walking length.

Please
or

BloodySmartarse · 02/09/2008 21:44

youre off your head, you are...

i like you

OP's posts:
Please
or

saltnshake · 02/09/2008 23:35

I've used old lawn mower wheels on mine.

Please
or

Doodle2U · 02/09/2008 23:42

Silver Cross pram wheels were always the best for Go-Karts in my day. Look on the For Sale boards and see if anyone is flogging an auld pram!

Please
or

elmoandella · 03/09/2008 10:04

actually....... old silver cross wheels with a longer chassis would probably work.get an old set of wheels. take them to your local ironmongers and get them to fit a bar and connectors of somesort. if they're anything like my local iron mongers they will probably charge for parts and be under £10. mines likes a challenge rather than his usual request for a bolt of xyz size

Please
or

cupsoftea · 03/09/2008 10:07

What about the wheels used on saffolding platforms? like those used by painters etc

Please
or

overthemill · 03/09/2008 10:12

we have a house that comes on wheels and having looked at smiths site (never heard of them before) they do an option with wheels

Please
or

MatNanPlus · 03/09/2008 11:52

bigger and a 1" steel bar to fit them to and hey presto

Please
or

BloodySmartarseToTheRescue · 03/09/2008 11:59

ooh, you beauties. thank you SO much

Please
or

MatNanPlus · 03/09/2008 19:53

Grin
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.