My feed

to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Can you recommend a product for a wound?

7 replies

sylvev · 09/07/2008 20:50

One of chickens came to us with a scab under her wing where she'd been picked on by older birds in her previous home. She is fine and has established herself as top chick here, (the other 3 are younger). However, we noticed this evening that she has knocked the scab off and it looks red and a bit sore. She doesn't seem bothered, in fact laid our first egg today! I've seen a wound product advertised, is there anything you would recommend? I don't think she is in danger of being pecked by the others as they seem in awe of her

OP posts:
motherhurdicure · 09/07/2008 21:18

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

sylvev · 09/07/2008 21:56

Thanks, where do you buy it from?

OP posts:
motherhurdicure · 09/07/2008 22:27

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

TheDuchessOfNorksBride · 09/07/2008 23:16

Agree, either purple spray or Animal Wound Powder (which comes in a small white bottle with a 'puffer' top). Either should be available from farm supply shops (ie. Scats), animal feed merchants, saddlers or pet shops. And the majority of online chicken shops have both.

The purple spray is also good to cover up bloody wounds as any bleeding will usually attract unwanted pecking attention - not a problem with your younger hens at the moment but it may happen in future.

motherhurdicure · 09/07/2008 23:33

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

sylvev · 10/07/2008 07:53

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Wound looks better today, but I'll nip out and buy some powder/spray.

OP posts:
tortoiseSHELL · 10/07/2008 22:46

I use veterinary wound powder, then gentian violet spray. You can also make a weak solution of tea tree oil, or savlon in water.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.