Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Poorly chicken

littlebrownmouse · 24/06/2008 19:16

One of our chickens was poorly just over a week ago. She had a dirty vent and swollen crop and was generally a bit sad and fed up. We kept an eye on her and she perked up after a couple of days and is now absolutely fine. The problem is, we have three chickens who'd been laying really well, but we haven't had three eggs a day since she was poorly. We presume its poorly chicken who isn't laying. Is there anything I should/could do to get her laying again? Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

blackrock · 24/06/2008 22:22

I think just look after her well and give her some time. Ours went off lay whilst they moulted and I think they don't lay because their bodies are under strain (this was for about three months).

We also had a poorly one last Autumn, she stopped laying for about a week and then started again.

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 25/06/2008 10:56

She'll start laying again when she's ready. If you want to help her along, give her some high protein food like tuna or beef cat food, hardboiled eggs, poultry spice, and it all helps to build them up again.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.