Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Foot Injury Advice Please

Cynara · 21/11/2020 14:15

If anyone could help with some advice I'd be very grateful. I'm relatively new to chicken keeping and this is the first time I've had an issue so have no experience to draw on.

We have a small flock of chickens and each has a coloured leg ring to differentiate her. This afternoon one of them was limping and when I checked her foot, her leg ring had unclipped and slipped down onto her foot, which was pinched by it.

She couldn't put her foot onto the ground and was squawking in distress. I have removed the ring, there is no break in the skin or bleeding but a couple of the scales on her foot have lifted a little. There was an indentation on her foot where the ring had pinched it, but her foot was warm and she had normal movement in her toes (she could grip my finger when I put it under her foot).

I have sprayed the area with antiseptic wound spray and have kept an eye on her. She's still hobbling and is reluctant to put weight on her foot, but is no longer making any noise and is eating well (I've just given them some porridge and she was enthusiastic about that) but her foot now looks swollen.
Can anyone with more experience tell me whether this is something I can watch and wait with, or whether I need to be a bit more proactive about treating her/taking her to a vet?

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.