Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

How long will I likely get eggs for?

Droflove · 11/12/2014 15:09

I think my inherited chucks are quite young. They are still producing an egg a day each (no missed days since Sept) and one has done 2 eggs a day for the last 3 days, weird and unusual, I know! But when will they cease to be egg-useful? And what do people do with them? I can see how you get really fond of them so there is no way in the world I could kill them but I also don't want to be feeding loads of these pooping machines just so I can get a few eggs a day when the first lot stop laying. Will this likely happen in 2 yrs or 10 yrs?

OP's posts:
Please
or

honeyroar · 19/02/2015 12:22

They usually lay until they are about 4. I have ex bats, and add six new ones each year, so there are always some laying and some elderly ones. We sell a few eggs to neighbours so they pay for themselves (I always think of them as really cheap to feed). Ours are here to retire and have a life. The eggs are a plus.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.