Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

The mighty mite...

Blackpuddingbertha · 18/09/2012 21:23

Found red mite in the coop about 10 days ago when cleaning out. Only around the perch ends. Removed all I could find, sprayed perches & DE'd even more than I usually do. Hens were dusted twice too. This weekend there were no signs of any surviving mites in the coop so I thought we were ok. However, the hens are still plucking out feathers from various places. I was under the impression that red mite don't live on the bird so treating the coop would normally be enough to clear it.

I've read the other current mite thread - I haven't seen signs of any other infestation other than the red mite. Anything else I can do? Do I need to keep dusting the ladies?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Paiviaso · 20/09/2012 16:38

I found a massive infestation of red mite in my coop a few weeks ago. DE seems to have cleared it finally!

My hens never plucked out any feathers though - perhaps your hens have more than one type of ectoparasite?

Please
or

Blackpuddingbertha · 20/09/2012 20:17

I'm going to have to have a closer look at them again aren't I? I didn't see anything on them when I dusted them before.

Off to google 'plucking out feathers'...

They're perfectly happy otherwise by the way, all perky and laying nicely.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.