Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

smelly chooks

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs · 19/07/2012 14:16

all this wet warm weather is not doing my hens any good they are in a permanant run and its getting a bit smelly even though they are regularly cleaned out. Iv just got back from homebase with a truck load of bark chips do yoiu think this will do any good? also planning on giving my eglu cube a good shower with the hose.
thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pixel · 19/07/2012 20:09

I picked up some of this stuff from the local farm shop and I think it seems to be working as I haven't noticed the run getting smelly.

Please
or

jade80 · 19/07/2012 20:11

Get some ducks in another run... then you won't notice the chickens smelling, because the ducks will be worse!

Seriously though, there are some powders you can get to neutralise smell I think. Could put some sand down?

Please
or

Pixel · 19/07/2012 20:15

Oh, doesn't say the main point I was getting at on there! On the tub it says more about the disinfectant aspect:
Neutralises odours and freshens the run and house area, ideal for damp areas

Please
or

pencilsinapenciltin · 20/07/2012 20:26

I pick up poo from the run every day but if it's wet (which is all the time at the moment)
I have found that I need to change the wood chips periodically. When it starts to get bad I scrape all the old wood chips up, put them in the compost bin and put down fresh.

Please
or

ditavonteesed · 21/07/2012 09:00

well I never poo pick, rake the run over every week and replace the chips about once a year, I sprinkle garden lime down perodically and it seems to stay quite nice.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.