My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Meet others keeping chickens on our Mumsnet Chicken forum.

Chicken keepers

Will the eggs get bigger?!?

6 replies

AnonymousBird · 20/03/2012 17:34

Just had our two new girls start laying (hurray). We have had loads of hens over the years, and it is always an exciting moment when the eggs start to come.

However, the eggs are tiny, I mean, not much bigger than a quails egg. All very cute and everything, but the hens are a good size now and I have never had such small eggs before, even in the early laying days....

Standard size hens, so I was a bit surprised. Will the eggs get bigger!?!

OP posts:
AnonymousBird · 21/03/2012 19:24

BUMP!!!!

OP posts:
thereinmadnesslies · 21/03/2012 20:44

Yes, they definitely get bigger. Our young hens started laying eggs about the size of a 2p, but each day they got slightly bigger and within a month they were standard size.

How old are the hens?

Weirdly, the older the hen, the bigger the egg. Our two ex-batts lay giant eggs, ouch!!

AnonymousBird · 22/03/2012 10:02

Not sure how old, we've had them just over a month and they were littlies when we got them, only started to lay last week.

We've just not this before, whenever our other girls have started to lay they've pretty much laid normal size from the start.

Funny what you say about older and bigger - one of our girls is so old she doesn't lay at all any more, but the other (not quite so old) hen's eggs are a bit less frequent but when she does they are enormous now! Especially next to the teeny new ones...

OP posts:
AnonymousBird · 22/03/2012 10:02

PS thanks for the reply.

OP posts:
MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe · 22/03/2012 12:47

Oh, yes they get bigger from POL. Some of mine lay double yolkers which always makes me croos my legs in sympathy Grin

nickelhasababy · 22/03/2012 12:48

yes, they get bigger Grin

congratulations Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.