Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

How do I fence my chickens in?

Grockle · 28/12/2011 14:30

I have 5 - they free range but my once-beautiful garden looks like a farmyard and I want to reclaim it. I hoped to fence the girls in to the last 5 or so of the garden ( it's about 20ft wide) but what should I use? It needs to look ok but stop the girls from escaping & ideally keep the fox out. I was wondering about electric fencing since it's not permanent but I don't really know.

What do other people do?

OP's posts:
Please
or

mummymeister · 29/12/2011 01:05

The most effective one i have found is like a fruit cage with a door and a high ceiling so they can fly up and around but not out and he who cannot be named cant get in. it also stops buzzards which we have a problem with taking our chicks and crows taking the eggs. if not then just go for a 7ft high secure fence dug a foot or so into the ground to stop him digging in. Alternatively use a triangular ark with net on the bottom which you can move around your patch of ground devoted to the chickens.

Please
or

Grockle · 29/12/2011 15:32

Thank you. I've asked a local fencing man if he'll do a quote for building me one. I want something I can walk into so I don't have to scrabble on the floor in the chicken poo and that'll give them some space to fly. Have had a google and there's lots of good ideas around. I just wish I was able to build it myself!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MessNessPess · 09/01/2012 14:44

We have electric poultry fencing tho we haven't ever plugged it in.

Please
or

MoreBeta · 09/01/2012 14:48

A fruit cage or chicken wire 2m high with the wire buried into the ground 30 cm to stop rats digging under is the best way.

We have wooden fencing panels round our run but the rats dig under so I had to bury bricks in the ground to stop them. I also have an outer run for the day time made out of wire also that gives then space to scratch under the trees.

The wood panels are 2m high and they never seem to want to fly over the top.

Please
or

technoduck · 10/01/2012 12:42

If there anything like my hens where then there to lazy to try and fly over the top, so I never had mine to high. I found just normal chicken wire did the trick, but as morebeta said you could get a problem with rats so getting your little brother and an air rifle burying bricks in is a great idea.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.