Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

worming

tilf · 14/02/2011 20:10

Please can you tell me how often you worm your chooks & what you use? I want something that does not affect their eggs if poss.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ilovemyhens · 15/02/2011 09:37

Flubenvet - it's great. You can continue eating the eggs as well. Sprinkle some on a food treat each day for about a week.

Don't bother with Verm-X. It's just a herbal treatment that may prevent reinfestation, but it doesn't actually kill any worms.

Please
or

beachyhead · 15/02/2011 09:38

Do you actually need to worm chickens anyway or do you wait till they have worms?

Please
or

ilovemyhens · 15/02/2011 10:34

Just assume that they have worms and worm anyway - like you do with cats and dogs.

Intestinal parasites cause a lot of health problems in chickens and can kill them if left untreated. You will only find actual worms if there's a very heavy infestation, less severe infestations cause health problems which can cause a bird to lose condition and succumb to infections.

Chickens spend hours messing around in the earth, so they'll end up with worms eventually.

I worm about every 8 weeks. It's easy enough to do and the Flubenvet lasts for ages because you only use about a pinch per bird each day. The vet told me it's well tolerated so not to be too concerned with exact dosage measurements.

Please
or

sancere · 15/02/2011 12:23

Where can you buy Flubenvet from please?

Please
or

chickchickchicken · 15/02/2011 21:11

i use flubenvet as well. i got mine from countrywide

Please
or

ilovemyhens · 18/02/2011 14:54

You can order it online or from your local vet. I got mine from Happy Chicks which is a small online store with fantastic service.

Please
or

sancere · 18/02/2011 17:26

Thank you all for your help, somone on the Omlet Forum told me about pellets which contained Flubenvet, i googled this and found a website - www.sprcentre.com that sold Marriages layers pellets with flubenvet 10kg for £5.90. I ordered on line and it arrived in 2 days. Chooks now eat this for 7 days so all seems easy enough Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.