Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

We just got home with three drakes!!

Flighttattendant · 25/08/2010 13:07

They are beautiful - well behaved, quiet lads from the farm - they were going to have their necks wrung so I said I would take them.

I have had a breifing as to what they need (paddling pool, loads of food) and they are currently sitting quietly in the spare guinea pig hutch waiting for me to dismantle and move their proper ark.

What have I done Grin

I'm mainly worried about the fox as they have no enclosure. The chickens are in theirs, but they can't really share.

I might need to start building again!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Millie1 · 25/08/2010 21:50

Wow! Sounds like you're going to be really busy! Can you use an actual paddling pool or will you have to build pond and enclosure? Enjoy!!

Please
or

Flighttattendant · 25/08/2010 22:31

thanks Millie Smile Apparently a small pond will get disgusting really fast, which can lead to disease for them - so a paddling pool is supposed to be better as you can just wash it out once a week.

I am tempted to get the guys a big tin bath though!

I am a bit in love with them. They went in the rabbit run in the pouring rain and loved it I think.

OP's posts:
Please
or

saltyseadog · 26/08/2010 11:01

LOL flight, you big softy! You're as bad as me.

Three months ago chicken total = 0, now chicken total = 11!

Very envious that you have ducks though Envy.

Please
or

Flighttattendant · 26/08/2010 11:14

Salty! 11!!! We still only have 6!

What have you got now?

I do really love these ducks tbh. The very idea of a pet that WANTS to be put out in the rain is brilliant Grin

Everyone else goes in, the ducks go out...I just need a plastic house for them now as they are really, really messy sods!

Am looking at some recycled placky ones. A bit ££ though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

saltyseadog · 26/08/2010 12:02

Well, I had my original 4, then got 3 ex-batts, and now have 3 chicks. Which in fact makes 10, not 11 !

Ahhh yes housing - proves to be a problem with flock expansion as I have to sneak Flyte so Fancy parcels past dh :o. I managed to get a lovelt FSF Maggies' Hen House for £100 on eBay - anything going on eBay at the moment?

Oh I soooo want some ducks. I don't think dh our garden could cope with all of the poop though!

Please
or

Flighttattendant · 26/08/2010 14:12

I am VERY Envy of your Maggies house. That is such a bargain!

I can't find much on there atm, not near to us anyway. I do want something plastic though as ducks just bring the water with them wherever they go. The guinea pig hutch was in a right state this morning!

I prob shouldn't tell you this but they poo less than chickens. They are just wet. And you don't need a pond.

Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

Millie1 · 26/08/2010 16:40

Salty! 10? And a Maggie's on eBay - what a bargain? You've got a great industry there. Flight am Envy that the ducks produce less poo than chickens - don't tell us any more!!

Please
or

saltyseadog · 28/08/2010 23:30

Lalalalalalalala . I must not get ducks! I am working on dh to get a couple of German Langshans that he once made the mistake of saying they looked rather smart!

The Maggies has come up as good as new with a coat of Burgess Marine Clearseal stuff from FSF. Chuffed to bits with it. Hope you've got sorted with a duck house flight (hopefully not one with a moat costing £3k Wink).

Please
or

Backinthebox · 31/08/2010 20:03

I have 3 drakes looking for a home..... 2 lovely black-beetly-green glossy cayugas and a white Indian Runner. They are all lovely boys, but I only need so many of them!

Please
or

saltyseadog · 01/09/2010 22:21

WHereabouts are you based backinthebox Wink?

Flight - have you seen the latest edition of Practical Poultry? Big spread on starting to keep ducks :)

Please
or

Backinthebox · 02/09/2010 08:13

Based in West Berks, Saltyseadog.

Please
or

saltyseadog · 02/09/2010 18:29

Oooh very tempting BITB, as you're not a million miles from us. Will speak to dh .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.