My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get advice and support with infant feeding from other users here.

Infant feeding

Did nipple pain improve after tongue tie snip?

32 replies

PurpleTygrrr · 02/02/2018 09:11

Hi
I'm looking for a bit of light at the end of the tunnel really. My DD is 8 days old and we have managed to EBF despite her having a tongue tie and the agony to my poor nips when she latches on! She is managing to feed well and has plenty of wet and dirty nappies so I'm not concerned she isn't getting enough. It's more the pain for me and my nipples are getting damaged.
Did anyone find the pain went away when the tongue tie was done? I really want to carry on BF but if it's this painful everyone I know I won't be able to... it literally has me curling my toes and wincing in pain!
Thanks

OP posts:
PurpleTygrrr · 03/02/2018 21:09

Dixey- yes in hospital the midwife said it ran in families and had a little look on my mouth- yep I'm TT too! DD's TT seems to go right to the end of her tongue though so I think it's quite a significant one!

Olympics- that's good to know!! Hoping we can do at least 6 months!

Thanks Nallig that's really reassuring, it helps me get through some painful feeds when others say that snipping worked for them. No particular reason for wanting to express other than hoping my DH can give a bottle in the evening perhaps so I can get some sleep. I'll probably try and build a little stockpile in the freezer too. I want to continue BF but I'm not against mixed feeding or having DH give her bottles of expressed. I won't start that till 4 weeks at least I expect though.

OP posts:
PurpleTygrrr · 07/02/2018 10:42

Hi just thought I'd do a quick update! We had DD's tongue tie snipped yesterday... she barely cried and I sobbed before they even did it! She fed straight away and it was immediately less painful! Still a bit tender for the first couple of seconds after but that went and then it was just... well... nice and normal! The other nipple is still hurting more after latch but I think that nipple is slightly more damaged and the midwife said I might only see an improvement in a couple of days! So yep... definitely worth doing and hopefully it will get even better. She even slept for 5 hours last night after her 3 hour cluster feed!
So glad I persevered!! Thanks for everyone's advice x

OP posts:
espoleta · 07/02/2018 12:46

Oh OP so glad that it's improved!

Dixeychick · 07/02/2018 19:25

Yes so glad it's got better! I've had DS2, and would you believe it, no tongue tie! Feeding still getting going but much better than last time. Phew!

PurpleTygrrr · 07/02/2018 19:54

Ah congratulations Dixey and I'm so pleased no tongue tie this time! Xx

OP posts:
thepatchworkcat · 07/02/2018 22:07

That’s great news Purple

thepatchworkcat · 07/02/2018 22:09

And congrats Dixey - and encouraging to hear no tongue tie! I’m pregnant with DC2 and am just assuming we’ll get a tongue tie again but maybe not then!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.