Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

This board exists primarily for the use of Black Mumsnetters. Others are welcome to post but please be respectful.

Rishi

nethervilee · 06/08/2022 19:43

It's said he is wealthy - that's what Tory is about - but Rishi is just not white a bit too wealthy as if relatability mattered with Boris Johnson or Cameron

I do not believe any of the reasons they won't vote for him. It's because he is not white - when have ethics mattered for Tory? - they had Boris Johnson (a racist, liar, plunged UK in economic crisis with his Brexit) for president, the current preferred candidate is an ex Lib Dem activist - how worse can Rishi be?

But on another level, I (black woman) am secretly waiting for UK to show him his place - anyone(black MNters only) else truly believe reasons advanced for his unsuitability?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Luredbyapomegranate · 06/08/2022 20:42

Well he couldn’t get his own wife to pay his taxes

Please
or

RedWingBoots · 06/08/2022 20:48

He was chancellor so is responsible for the current financial mess we are in, as he held the purse strings.

There as Truss is foreign secretary.

Oh and his allegiance to the UK is questionable due to having had a Green card. He also stabbed Johnson in the back by resigning. So he has loyalty issues.

Please
or

RedWingBoots · 06/08/2022 20:53

If you ain't white make sure you only have a British passport, and don't have a permit/visa to allow you to live and work elsewhere.

As when one of the newspapers goes digging it will be everywhere. How it will be framed depends on the political party you are in.

Please
or

Icedbannoffee · 06/08/2022 20:56

Not a rishi fan as such but absolutely believe he is better than Liz Truss. He does seem to be held to a higher standard than many others, doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

The economy is screwed globally, although in some aspects we are being hit harder than average, brexit and other factors rather than solely rishi and his policy are to blame. I don't think someone needs 'allegiance' to the country to be a good prime minister. In fact he is actively choosing to live here so you could argue he is better in that way. Most candidates are wealthy and could get a green card or visa for elsewhere should they wish so they could make a mess and leave just as he could. Johnson is awful, personally I find unwavering loyalty just because even if you don't agree with someone worse.

I was wondering as a black woman whether someone who isn't white or someone who isn't a man would be more palatable in this case.

Please
or

Icedbannoffee · 06/08/2022 20:57

RedWingBoots · 06/08/2022 20:53

If you ain't white make sure you only have a British passport, and don't have a permit/visa to allow you to live and work elsewhere.

As when one of the newspapers goes digging it will be everywhere. How it will be framed depends on the political party you are in.

Yes wasn't Boris born in New York? He only renounced his US citizenship in 2017 when he had his eyes on the prize.

Please
or

Starseeking · 07/08/2022 10:36

He's no more odious than the rest of them; they're all as bad as each other. His family is rich on a scale I don't think we've seen before in any politician, jealousy of Brown people with money will likely play a part.

I do find it interesting that people are not more supportive, and grateful to him for the furlough scheme through lockdown, despite the damage to the economy. If it wasn't for that, a lot of people would be in a very different position, and quite possibly bankrupt.

Although Liz Truss will win, I don't think she will last very long. 18 months max.

Please
or

RedWingBoots · 07/08/2022 11:11

@Starseeking due to how I work and who I know I know plenty of people who got no help from him when he was chancellor during the Covid lockdowns So I don't thank him for the furlough scheme, I don't thank him for the corruption of bounce back loans nor do I thank him for eat out to spread it about.

Anyway Truss and Rishi are as bad as each other...

Please
or

VladmirsPoutine · 07/08/2022 11:19

Do you notice how Rishi has suggested 're-education' prevent programs for people who disparage the UK and how he was recently heard openly saying that he'd undo the work Labour had done to redirect funds from 'urban' areas? So you see just how far right and how much he has to kowtow to the fashco lot to have a chance? If he were white he'd walk this. That he's brown and having to go these lengths to prove he is 'one of them' is very revealing.

Please
or

Maggiethecat · 07/08/2022 13:37

How anyone can even contemplate voting for flip flop Liz is beyond me 🙄

Please
or

nolno · 08/08/2022 20:17

VladmirsPoutine · 07/08/2022 11:19

Do you notice how Rishi has suggested 're-education' prevent programs for people who disparage the UK and how he was recently heard openly saying that he'd undo the work Labour had done to redirect funds from 'urban' areas? So you see just how far right and how much he has to kowtow to the fashco lot to have a chance? If he were white he'd walk this. That he's brown and having to go these lengths to prove he is 'one of them' is very revealing.

Agree 100% not a fan (understatement) of either but rushi is undoubtedly more qualified. I think it's so interesting to see how thoroughly race has trumped sex in the privilege arena here even as he's so rich and posh

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?