Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Toilet training

Cantfollowmeround · 18/05/2022 21:53

I didnt want to give too many details on mumsnet but I need this dealing with. So like most kids if you turn your head for a moment they're doing something or into something. It's like that with my childs potty training. I'm not sure how to go about it. She doesnt tell me when she needs to go and when I've got my head turned it's on the floor. I clean the area as soon as I notice but now that bit of the house stinks. I cut her off from accessing it and she just did it somewhere else. At first I'd ask her 30 mins to an hour after shes eaten and so forth, if she needs the toilet and she'll tell me no and then she'll do it soon after. I got onto this but then she just holds it in until I'm distracted. And she can hold it for a while. I'm not sure why she does it. Shes five and still in nappies, she doesnt even use the toilet sometimes. But then she'll complain that she doesnt like wearing them Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mary8076 · 25/05/2022 17:16

Long experience with late potty training but it's hard to give some tips since only you know the real situation. I would be sure she is not constipated since it's the most common cause for accidents. Maybe she is afraid of the loo, or accidents created anxiety in her and now it's a vicious circle. It could be her way to draw attention (as it seems), in this case the best you can do is just to ignore it all. If she wear nappies I don't get the wet floor and the stinking house, just keep them on all the time (as a need, be clear it's not a punishment at all) until something like one or two weeks accidents free, the fact she complains about wearing them plays in your favor, she will stop soon (if the reason is only to get attention). I mean often just not making a big issue about it is the best solution.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.