Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Newborn hands open...

Olahaha2021 · 15/05/2022 18:03

My newborn (premie but now full term) mostly has her wee hands open all of the time. Every source I've read says that it is normal for them to be fully clenched. She does clench them for time to time and when awake responds of I hold them but just wondered if them being open is something we should be more concerned about at this stage?

OP's posts:
Please
or

IAgreeWithBryanCaplan · 17/05/2022 12:52

If you put an object in the palm of her hand does she grab it?

Please
or

Olahaha2021 · 17/05/2022 20:28

Yes she does @IAgreeWithBryanCaplan

OP's posts:
Please
or

oakapi · 19/05/2022 12:51

Mine was exactly the same, born with open hands, would grab onto an object but open otherwise. I was quite worried at the time as it seemed so odd for a newborn. All the books seemed to say it would be 3 months or so before they begin to unfurl.....

I didn't ever find anything on Google to say what it might mean but please know my son is now 2 and as far as I know it never came to mean anything!!

Please
or

Olahaha2021 · 19/05/2022 21:39

@oakapi thanks for that. That is reassuring!!! I've googled too and can't find anything which again I guess is reassuring

OP's posts:
Please
or

mumofgirls1721 · 07/06/2022 12:14

Hello! My daughter is 14 months old, she also had her palms open most of the time, with my first they were clenched so hard I hard to uncurl them to clean them lol I also thought it was odd the open fist but same as you google didn’t give me an answer, just so you know it apparently is also normal :-)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.