Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Recommend books about managing toddler behaviour

RobinsNest17 · 03/10/2019 11:52

Having just had to leave a playgroup because of the most epic tantrum (which continued for another 30 minutes after we left the group), I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a book to help me understand toddler behaviour/development and provide guidance on how to best handle it.

My son is 21 months and I really need to get a better grip of how to positively manage his tantrums, as I'm expecting another baby to arrive in a couple of months time!

OP's posts:
Please
or

RobinsNest17 · 03/10/2019 17:16

hopeful bump

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sipperskipper · 06/10/2019 07:40

Couple of book recommendations-

How to talk so little kids will listen
The whole brain child
Unruffled (by Janet Lansbury, also does a great podcast with the same title)

Good luck!

Please
or

RobinsNest17 · 07/10/2019 19:06

Thank you @Sipperskipper :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

MeadowHay · 08/10/2019 08:55

I don't know your child's personality but if you think they are particularly 'intense' in general, I'm currently reading Raising Your Spirited Child which is super interesting.

Please
or

AladdinMum · 08/10/2019 09:40

Did you know/was it obvious why he had a tantrum? and if so, is the issue not why he has the tantrums but how to manage them?

Please
or

RobinsNest17 · 09/10/2019 22:59

Thank you for the suggestion @MeadowHay , yes I'd describe him that way.

@AladdinMum the reasons for the tantrums are because he is stopped from doing what he wants to. However what he wants is usually unsafe or unsuitable (running across a road, eating nothing but cake, climbing on furniture). He's too young to understand why he can't do these things so I need to address his response rather than the cause of the tantrums.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.