My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Which name to pick: The longstanding favourite or the newcomer?

104 replies

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 09:48

TLDR: Would you choose Hero or Marcella?

Currently, finally, expecting our second child after three miscarriages including a failed IVF round. I'm 27 weeks now and my husband and I have tentatively started talking about names again as it seems like this baby will be sticking around 😅Sex is unknown as we've decided we'd like a surprise this time.

Baby's older brother is Gilbert John Joseph and our surname is one syllable and rhymes with disc. We like unusual but recognisable classics. Shakespearean and old English/Germanic names tend to be a hit with us.

We think we're settled on our boy name of Conrad Richard Anthony as it ticks all of our boxes but are torn between two for our girl name.

Option 1:

Hero Jane Rose: This is the longstanding favourite, the name we've had picked for a girl forever. It's me who's wavering on it. I just don't feel like it goes with Gilbert plus then baby will have four one syllable names in a row and I can't get over how strange that sounds.

Option 2:

Marcella Jane Rose: This is the newcomer which has outstripped Hero for me over the past year or so. Marcella is an old family name on my dad's side. I feel like it goes so well with Gilbert and my husband is warming to it. In his words 'It's growing on me more and more.' She'd likely be known as Marcie or just Marcella and we'd use the English/French pronunciation over the Italian.

Which would you pick from the two?

Middle names are non negotiable by the way. I know how much everyone here despises Rose as a middle name BUT if baby is a girl she would be the sixth generation Rose* so it's very, very special to me. It's my middle name and my nanna's first name, her mum's first name and her gran's first name etc etc.

Jane is after my husband's mother who died of cancer a few years before husband and I met.

*As an anecdote, it did skip once as my great, great granny was called Elizabeth Doolittle. Yes, really 😅

OP posts:
Givemepickles · 13/02/2024 09:54

Definitely Marcella over Hero. I'd automatically assume Hero was a boy and a very out there name even for a boy! It'll be so annoying for her I think. Sorry!

Feliciacat · 13/02/2024 10:00

@Givemepickles I see where you’re coming from but any Shakespeare fan would recognise Hero as a girl’s name. I did and I believe Marlene Klass’s daughter is called Hero.

I think they’re both lovely but Marcella goes better with Gilbert. Hero and Gilbert somehow have different vibes. I can’t put my finger on why but they do. As for the middle names of Jane and Rose, they’re solid and your reasoning is sound. So either choice is fine but Marcella edges it.

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:00

@Givemepickles We know it from the play Much Ado About Nothing and it's an old Greek name. But I take your point that lots of people probably haven't heard it before so would assume something else :)

OP posts:
OctaviaRedQueen · 13/02/2024 10:00

Marcella. Beautiful name and goes really well with Gilbert.

I too, would assume Hero was a boy.

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:01

@Feliciacat Yes, exactly. I really want Gilbert and Hero to go together but they just sound so opposing to me. I feel like we really snookered ourselves with Gil's name 😂

OP posts:
oldnorsesaga · 13/02/2024 10:03

I wouldn't say Hero is one syllable name - I would say HEE-ro - two syllable no?

I like Hero Jane Rose Disc more than Marcella Jane Rose Disc - just because Marcella feels it sticks like sore thumb, while Hero is working with Jane Rose middles.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints · 13/02/2024 10:03

Hmm, I love Hero but Marcella does go better with Gilbert. Honestly though I'd wait til baby is here then is you have a girl see which fits her better. We did this with our dc & it worked for us.

Moveoverdarlin · 13/02/2024 10:04

Marcella is elegant, pretty, quite unusual, but equally everyone will know how to spell it. Hero I’m not keen on at all. I’d assume Hero was a boys name.

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:06

oldnorsesaga · 13/02/2024 10:03

I wouldn't say Hero is one syllable name - I would say HEE-ro - two syllable no?

I like Hero Jane Rose Disc more than Marcella Jane Rose Disc - just because Marcella feels it sticks like sore thumb, while Hero is working with Jane Rose middles.

Oh I'm so stupid, you're right I meant four names with four letters 😂

OP posts:
PivotPivotmakingmargaritas · 13/02/2024 10:07

Pretend to introduce your kids to a new neighbour… This is Gilbert and….

to me Marcella and Gilbert sound like siblings … Hero doesn’t fit and even though my daughter is a Shakespeare name I would assume Hero is a boy

Strawberrycheesecake7 · 13/02/2024 10:07

I much prefer Marcella. I think Hero is too out there.

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:08

Strawberrycheesecake7 · 13/02/2024 10:07

I much prefer Marcella. I think Hero is too out there.

Edited

Oh seems we both edited our posts and now my reply makes no sense 😂

OP posts:
InTheRainOnATrain · 13/02/2024 10:08

Hero in Much Ado is the worst. A pathetic bystander in her own story. If you’re a Shakespeare fan I’d avoid. Marcella is really nice, go with that!

Crucible · 13/02/2024 10:09
Strawberrycheesecake7 · 13/02/2024 10:09

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:08

Oh seems we both edited our posts and now my reply makes no sense 😂

Edited

Sorry I didn’t see your update until I’d already posted, that’s why I edited the last bit.

Crucible · 13/02/2024 10:10

And Hero is practically mute in Much Ado. Bloody annoying.

bzarda · 13/02/2024 10:10

Marcie is a really cute nickname - congratulations on your pregnancy :)

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:11

InTheRainOnATrain · 13/02/2024 10:08

Hero in Much Ado is the worst. A pathetic bystander in her own story. If you’re a Shakespeare fan I’d avoid. Marcella is really nice, go with that!

She is a very wet character, agreed but it's the name we like, not the character so I've never saw it as us naming a daughter AFTER her if you see what I mean. Still, good to be aware that that's something people might assume!

OP posts:
NoelJo · 13/02/2024 10:11

Marcella fits with Gilbert nicely. I’m not keen on Hero it seems more like a name for a pet to me.

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:11

bzarda · 13/02/2024 10:10

Marcie is a really cute nickname - congratulations on your pregnancy :)

Thank you. 22 months of anguish was worth it in the end :)

OP posts:
Onelife2024 · 13/02/2024 10:19

Love Marcella with Gilbert. Marcie is a great short version that works well for all ages.

Not at all keen on Hero - it sounds like a boy’s name to me and is also a lot to live up to!

SoupDragon · 13/02/2024 10:27

I like Marcella best.

if you change her middle name to Heroes you can have both Hero and Rose 😂😂 (I am obviously not being serious here)

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TheBirdintheCave · 13/02/2024 10:28

SoupDragon · 13/02/2024 10:27

I like Marcella best.

if you change her middle name to Heroes you can have both Hero and Rose 😂😂 (I am obviously not being serious here)

😂I can imagine my nanna coming back to haunt me if I messed with her name 😂

OP posts:
Moosely · 13/02/2024 11:16

I love Marcella, and it sounds good with Gilbert. Shame not to use your longstanding favourite though, although I do think it would make a great pet name for any future pets? (And that’s not meant as a diss to Hero, I can just really picture it on a cat!)

IamaRevenant · 13/02/2024 11:28

Hero is growing on me although I don't like Shakespeare and would initially have assumed a boy

Marcella however is beautiful. Strong, classy and not common. Also the name of a good friend who goes by Marcie which is also lovely. She's the only Marcella I've ever met and is a very cool person.

Marcella also goes SO much better with Gilbert IMO.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.