My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Violet, Rose, Cora or something else....

21 replies

helloitsmeyourlookingfor · 29/01/2024 20:14

I'm a huge fan of Titanic, film and it's history.

Rose - after Rose Dawson in the film.
Cora - the little girl Jack Dances with.
Violet - after Violet Jessop a lady I personal associate with and an incredibly inspiring woman.

Or something else?
Boys have biblical names. I'm not sure about any biblical girls names really. None really fit. So I thought maybe have a name inspired by something I love because I'm really really struggling to find any girls names I love.

OP posts:
Onelife2024 · 29/01/2024 20:20

That’s lovely to choose a name that inspires you in that way. My favourite of your three choices is Rose, followed by Cora. Rose is a classic and has the option of Rosie if that suits your daughter’s personality. Cora is great too, maybe a little more “of the moment”, which is why I like Rose a bit better. I’m not so keen on Violet as (for me) it doesn’t pass the test of names I’d be happy to be called for some reason!

underseige05 · 29/01/2024 20:21

Cora is my favourite from those 3 but I also love Iris.

BlueRidgeMountains · 29/01/2024 20:24

Very pretty names, l like them all, hard to choose a favourite.
I like Rose, but Rosa is also lovely.

BoleynMemories13 · 29/01/2024 20:46

I really like Cora. Rose is ok, a traditional classic. I feel like it carries the most meaning to you, which gives it a nice sentiment.

I'm less keen on Violet as I associate it with the brat in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Plus autocorrect sometimes changes it to violent due to only being one letter difference.

MissyB1 · 29/01/2024 20:58

Some other suggestions

Celine
Alice
Frances
Anna
Sarah (biblical)
Mary (biblical)

KirstenBlest · 29/01/2024 21:08

Rosa

Dottymug · 29/01/2024 21:13

Rose and Cora are lovely. Or Molly after Molly Brown?

Orarewedancer · 29/01/2024 21:14

BoleynMemories13 · 29/01/2024 20:46

I really like Cora. Rose is ok, a traditional classic. I feel like it carries the most meaning to you, which gives it a nice sentiment.

I'm less keen on Violet as I associate it with the brat in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Plus autocorrect sometimes changes it to violent due to only being one letter difference.

I have a Violet and loads of people say the same thing to me about the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference, but actually it's Veruca Salt who was the bratty one! Violet was the gum one (though I guess she was a bit of a brat too!).

Obviously my preference is Violet but I love Cor too, OP :)

MrsMitford3 · 29/01/2024 21:18

Funny-when I saw your title I assumed you were a huge Downton Abbey fan!!

I love all three- like Cora and Violet the most-although Rose also pretty.

MaloneMeadow · 29/01/2024 21:46

Rose is my favourite by far, timeless classic. Cora is a bit wet in my opinion and Violet is old fashioned in a bad way

BoleynMemories13 · 29/01/2024 21:49

Orarewedancer · 29/01/2024 21:14

I have a Violet and loads of people say the same thing to me about the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference, but actually it's Veruca Salt who was the bratty one! Violet was the gum one (though I guess she was a bit of a brat too!).

Obviously my preference is Violet but I love Cor too, OP :)

Sorry I didn't mean 'the brat' as in the only one, I meant as in 'the brat called Violet'. I'm not confusing them, they were both massive brats!

I don't actually know any in real life, which is why I only associate it with the fictional brat, but I'm sure everyone who knows your daughter will associate it with her and feel more positively about it. It's definitely in fitting with the current trends of floral names and vintage 'old lady' names so I totally understand why it's growing in popularity.

Higgldy · 29/01/2024 21:53

Viola

Mumofgirls2017 · 29/01/2024 22:42

obviolsly may not have as much meaning but if looking for ideas

nora
beatrix
mabel
rosalie
flora
iris
clara
dorothy
vivienne
scarlett
ruby
isobek

Sash95 · 29/01/2024 23:14

I like rose best. Second would be Cora. Rose is timeless whereas Cora is more now. Both lovely names and even better if they have meaning for you.

I'm not a fan of violet but that's just because I'm still scarred Charlie and the chocolate factory , no other reason.

MyBrownEyedHandsomeBoy · 29/01/2024 23:19

I love all 3 of those beautiful names op 🥰

Snugglemonkey · 30/01/2024 07:28

MissyB1 · 29/01/2024 20:58

Some other suggestions

Celine
Alice
Frances
Anna
Sarah (biblical)
Mary (biblical)

Why, op is looking for links to the Titanic?

43ontherocksporfavor · 30/01/2024 07:30

Violet and Rose are beautiful . Not keen on Cora - the cor sound is harsh . Prefer Cara but obviously not the Titanic link.
Biblical girl’s names- Rebecca, Mary, Magdalene off the top of my head.

43ontherocksporfavor · 30/01/2024 07:33

I know a lovely 7year old Violet who has replaced the brat image of Violet for me.😉

OctaviaRedQueen · 30/01/2024 08:01

I love the name Cora. As a huge Titanic fan myself, I always hear it in Jack’s voice saying she was still his best girl.

Maybe use Violet as the middle name? Cora Violet sounds lovely!

JanuarySlog · 30/01/2024 08:06

I love all 3! Really pretty names.

Kate?

RosaSkyes · 30/01/2024 21:51

Love Cora

Rosalie (Titanic survivor)

Cordelia means heart of the ocean

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.