My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Emily-Rose ? Emilie-Rose?

60 replies

Indecisivemum01 · 05/01/2024 02:26

My husband and I are trying to agree on a name for our daughter. We aren’t agreeing on many of them, but one of his suggestions that I find pretty is Emily-Rose. He’s French so we could
also use Émilie-Rose.

my concern : I googled the name and apparently it’s the name and title
of a horror film, The Exorcism of Emily-Rose. I’d never heard of it! What do you think? Dealbreaker?

OP posts:

Dealbreaker

67 votes. Final results.

POLL
Absolutely
36%
Heck it, no
64%
MamaMode · 05/01/2024 02:34

I think it's a pretty name. But defo spell it the French way, as it will be more meaningful by way your husbands background. Aside from the horror movie connection, spelling with a 'Y' is less unique

wandawaves · 05/01/2024 02:37

IMO the hyphen is the deal breaker, not the name of some unheard of horror movie.

Emily Rose is lovely.

Happytimes123456 · 05/01/2024 02:38

Sorry OP, I immediately thought of the film when I read this.

DramaAlpaca · 05/01/2024 02:57

Never heard of the film.

Just drop the hyphen, whichever spelling you go for.

Noorandapples · 05/01/2024 03:16

It's also a line of baby clothes, very pretty though!

Strawberrycheesecake7 · 05/01/2024 03:23

I prefer the spelling Emily but then I’m not French so it’s what I’m used to. Nothing wrong with the spelling Emilie if you decide you prefer that. I would drop the hyphen though and just have Rose as the middle name. Everyone I know who has a hyphenated name hates it. Emily is also already three syllables long and Emily-Rose sounds like too much in my opinion. I doubt anyone would actually call her the full name as she gets older. I’ve never heard of the film and Emily and Rose are quite popular names so I don’t think they’ll make people think of that.

caringcarer · 05/01/2024 04:28

Emily Rose without hyphen. She'll be called Emily or even Emm by her friends anyway. Most children never get called middle name except for baptism and wedding.

EmmaEmerald · 05/01/2024 04:46

Film was my first thought.

i mentioned it here the other day after Tom Wilkinson passed away.

it's based on a true story. Don't put the poor girl through the hassle of that name.

fjsidn · 05/01/2024 04:59

I am an Emily Rose.

I've known two other Emily Rose's.

The film doesn't bother me, it's a just bought up as a not funny anecdote once in a while.

But it is common (meaning frequent) as muck which you should bear in mind.

Assuming you live in England, spelling the name Emilie will just be a huge huge PITA for your child.

Longma · 05/01/2024 05:09

Either spelling. I've taught children with both spellings. It's fine.

But I'd remove the hyphen.

LiquoriceAllsorts2 · 05/01/2024 06:54

Drop the hyphen.
i have never heard of the film. I would definitely say Emily if your husband wasn’t French but given he is you can use either.

PracticalPatricia · 05/01/2024 06:56

I'd lose the Rose and just call her Emily / Emilie (but I think people will mistake the French spelling for a different spelling just for the sake of being different - that shouldn't necessarily bother you though, but just worth considering I think)

There are a lot of Amelies and Elodies about these days, as well as the Amelias and Emilys. I know more than one Amelia Rose and Elodie Rose.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with Emily-Rose but it just isn't for me. I'd vaguely heard of the film but haven't seen it fwiw

megletthesecond · 05/01/2024 07:08

Just use Emily / Émilie.

Watchthedoormat · 05/01/2024 07:14

I know an awful one so maybe that clouds my judgement but I don't like it.
Rose as a first name is nice

RowanMayfair · 05/01/2024 07:19

Drop the hyphen and rethink Rose, it's very overused

OldBeyondMyYears · 05/01/2024 07:26

Pretty name either way. But yes...drop the hyphen 🤷‍♀️

I'm a teacher and we have MANY children (girls only!) currently with hyphenated names (often with Rose or May/Mae/Mai as the second name in the pair).

1. It's a lot for them to learn to read/write when they start school (and their name is often the first thing they need to learn to read and write).

1. It becomes a bit of a mouthful to be used in everyday interactions, and eventually gets dropped by choice anyway when the child starts to think for themselves (despite parents insisting it's kept as the hyphenated version, the children themselves drop it, so become 'Emily' to friends...however adults have to continue with the full version as parents insist).

I've got two sets of girl twins this year, both with -Rose and -May, eg Alice-Rose Smith, Elizabeth-May Smith, Carrie-Ann-Rose Jones, Caitlin-May Jones) and all 4 have themselves dropped the second name, so the children just call them by their first name, but we have to call them their full hyphenated version at parents request (even though the girls themselves ask us not to!) It's not great 🤷‍♀️

(And yes, one of the girls actually has two hyphens).
Onelife2024 · 05/01/2024 07:45

I agree with pp’s to drop the hyphen. Emily is a lovely name. Emilie spelling is pretty but she will need to correct people a lot if she lives in the UK.

lilybloom2 · 05/01/2024 08:05

I love the name. It was my preferred choice for a girl. That's was 20 odd year ago.

justchristmas · 05/01/2024 08:13

Onelife2024 · 05/01/2024 07:45

I agree with pp’s to drop the hyphen. Emily is a lovely name. Emilie spelling is pretty but she will need to correct people a lot if she lives in the UK.

I live in a French speaking country and my daughter is Emily. Emilie is a very common name but she spends her life saying 'it's spelt with a y!'

She doesn't mind though, and our name is so English the French spelling would have been daft.

DillDanding · 05/01/2024 08:14

Definitely drop the hyphen.

BayCityCoaster · 05/01/2024 08:16

Please just lose the hyphen.

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 05/01/2024 08:45

There was an Emilie-Rose at DD's school. I thought it was lovely and never once did that film cross my mind.

BobbleWobbleHat · 05/01/2024 08:49

I wouldn't hyphenate

idontlikealdi · 05/01/2024 08:52

The pronunciation is slightly different if you use the accent

LittleBearPad · 05/01/2024 08:54

The accented E is going to be a pain if you live in the UK. I’d also drop the hyphen.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.