My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Emily-Rose ? Emilie-Rose?

60 replies

Indecisivemum01 · 05/01/2024 02:26

My husband and I are trying to agree on a name for our daughter. We aren’t agreeing on many of them, but one of his suggestions that I find pretty is Emily-Rose. He’s French so we could
also use Émilie-Rose.

my concern : I googled the name and apparently it’s the name and title
of a horror film, The Exorcism of Emily-Rose. I’d never heard of it! What do you think? Dealbreaker?

OP posts:

Dealbreaker

67 votes. Final results.

POLL
Absolutely
36%
Heck it, no
64%
FayCarew · 11/01/2024 12:40

@Ladybird1977 , I can't understand from your post if you agree with the spell it Emily posts or not.

Emily has been very popular for a long time and it's been in the top 20 girl's names for about 25 years. The Emilie spelling is hardly used in the UK, so I'd expect it to be misspelled a lot.

Ladybird1977 · 11/01/2024 13:17

Emily or Emilie are both lovely. One will be more regularly misspelled than the other but for me but for me (as someone with a similar commonly misspelled name), it’s not of huge importance.
Many traditional English names have a number of versions (Annabel/Annabelle for example) and more unusual names are now commonplace. I teach and unusual spellings are common.
If the OP prefers Emilie she should just go for it.

FayCarew · 11/01/2024 13:51

Normally I would agree but Emily has been so popular for so long that she'll get it wrong a lot.

People get my name wrong a lot but they tend to use names I don't like when they do. Something like Fearne, Frey or Finn.

Thelazygardener · 11/01/2024 14:02

I have a cousin called Emilie Rose. I like it but it’s her first and middle name. Definitely wouldn’t hyphenate.

Coffeeismyfriend1 · 11/01/2024 17:44

We narrowed down to Emily or Sophie for DD with an edge towards Emily. DH suggested Rose for her middle name and I said no for the same reason so she has a different middle name 😂

SuperFurryCat · 11/01/2024 17:54

I was going to call my DD this many years ago until I was telling my friend the name and her nursery age DD misheard me and said ‘why are you going to call your baby ‘smelly rose?’ I love Emily and Rose as names though.

LeGinge · 11/01/2024 17:56

Amelia Rose, as an alternative?
Not RTFT, apologies if already mentioned.

FindingMeno · 11/01/2024 18:06

French spelling - it's beautiful!
Never heard of the film.

ThePoshUns · 11/01/2024 18:19

Both are lovely but ditch the hyphen

tokesqueen · 11/01/2024 18:54

Lose the hyphen, in fact, lose the very overused Rose.
Emily Catherine.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.