My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Emily-Rose ? Emilie-Rose?

60 replies

Indecisivemum01 · 05/01/2024 02:26

My husband and I are trying to agree on a name for our daughter. We aren’t agreeing on many of them, but one of his suggestions that I find pretty is Emily-Rose. He’s French so we could
also use Émilie-Rose.

my concern : I googled the name and apparently it’s the name and title
of a horror film, The Exorcism of Emily-Rose. I’d never heard of it! What do you think? Dealbreaker?

OP posts:

Dealbreaker

67 votes. Final results.

POLL
Absolutely
36%
Heck it, no
64%
tenbob · 05/01/2024 08:55

We have an Emily-Rose in our family.

It’s such a mouthful to say that she is universally known as ER, other than her mum who insists on calling her Emily-Rose or just Emily.

Im pretty sure the mum regrets hyphenating it and creating ER instead of her just being an Emily

Catopia · 05/01/2024 08:59

If you use it, you need to be alive to the fact that the first time she uses a computer independently she will do what all kids do and google their name, and that the film is going to come up, and that she may be exposed to some quite frightening material much younger than you would otherwise need to deal with it.

Mumofteenandtween · 05/01/2024 09:02

It is a well known and not enormously happy film.

Emily Rose (spelt either the English way or the French way) would avoid any problematic connections whilst keeping the pretty name.

Although I also hate hyphens so I would say that!

NewYearNewPyjamas · 05/01/2024 09:03

Also French heritage here. The problem with Emilie, as lovely as it is, is that it's a bit chavy to put an ie on the end of a name that's not typically ie. Add to that the hyphen and you're setting an image. Which is so annoying as it really is a beautiful name. I realise I sound incredibly stuck up there but trust me, I'm not. I grew up as a chav on a council estate. Back then everyone was because we were emulating sporty spice.

Anyway, I digress. What about Amelie, Aurélie, Aimée, Emmanuelle?

Is the surname French? If so, Emilie is more fitting.

NewYearNewPyjamas · 05/01/2024 09:04

And yes, don't worry about the film at all! I went to school with a Carrie and even she didn't get any comments.

thatbigbear · 05/01/2024 09:08

Just in case a variation might be of interest, have you considered Rosamund (or Rosemonde in French I think?), as that's also very pretty with similar sounds, and lends itself to various nice shortenings as she grows up?

sashh · 05/01/2024 09:22

My first thought was the film.

The film is based on the true story of Anneliese Michel, and it isn't the only one. I don't know if that makes a difference.

NachosAndCheese · 05/01/2024 09:53

Rose is sooooo overused I would look at something. Else tbh.

I work with children and every other girl is an Evie-Rose or May, Lily-Rose, Ella-Rose. Rose/May/Grace are they filler middle names for girls.

FayCarew · 05/01/2024 11:56

Nearly every hyphenated girl's name is a -Rose and it's an extremely popular middle name without the hyphen.

Emilie will get Emily or Amelie a lot.

Hyphens are considered a bit naff in the UK and usually only the name before the hyphen is used.

theduchessofspork · 05/01/2024 12:01

Dump the hyphen whatever you do. I know it’s fine in France but in the UK it conjures up a Lexi-Mai vibe

Emily Rose with Rose as the middle name is perfectly nice, albeit Rose is a very very very popular middle name. No one will associate it with the movie.

Emilie is nice too - the accent will never get used here. Explaining the different spelling will be slightly irritating for her if she lives in the Uk, but given her connection with France she may also value it

chalkee44 · 07/01/2024 17:56

My youngest daughter is called Emily-Rose 😜

Noodles1234 · 07/01/2024 18:11

Emilia Rose?

Bookkeepermum · 07/01/2024 18:34

I too thought of this film. And I believe it's based on a true story.

JessieIsabelle · 07/01/2024 18:38

I thought "exorcism" immediately, even before you mentioned it. Sorry! I still think it's usable, but I personally wouldn't. I also think the hyphen doesn't work unless you always want to call her Emily-Rose all of the time, which doesn't really roll off the tongue when you say it many times per day. It works as a first name-middle name combo, though.

I would only do Émilie-Rose if you pronounce it the French way. They are not pronounced exactly the same. Émilie pronounced Emily would be odd. Émilie is also quite dated by now in France, it's more a name of the parent generation. It's pretty, though.

I would choose something like Emily Rosalia, Emily Rosalind, Emily Rosaline etc. and just call her Emily. Or go for something else that flows nicely with Rose (two syllables maximum) such as Eva-Rose.

Mostlyboymum42 · 07/01/2024 18:41

My daughter is Amalie Rose..

3kidsandaBoxer · 07/01/2024 18:59

Although the French version looks pretty, I also have a variation of Emily as my name and spend my entire life spelling it out for people! Doesn't help my work email address is my full name, people always assume its Emily with a Y as that is how it sounds. I mean its not a massive issue but definitely is a pain sometimes.
I also find it then allows people to misspell it ALL the time - I'm forever getting an extra I or E added in somewhere.

Just a thought for her in the future!

ST10 · 07/01/2024 19:07

Lose the Rose element - as much as I like the name Rose I’m just not a fan of double first names, sorry! I like the French spelling if your husband is French

Correlation · 07/01/2024 19:15

Honestly, honestly, it's a bit of a babyish name with either spelling - sorry.

I prefer the name Emma to Emily/Emilie and it is spelled the same in French and English.

laurajayneinkent · 07/01/2024 21:46

I wouldn't worry too much about the film.
I do think Amelie-Rose is lovely though!

TiredMummma · 07/01/2024 22:39

I wouldn't but we also rejected Rosemary and Annabelle for similar reasons!

Beachywave · 08/01/2024 19:49

I’d probably for for Emilia rather than Emilie-Rose if you want a more interesting version of the name. Emily/Emilie still nice on its own though.

Ilovesmesomefriedchicken · 11/01/2024 08:16

That is a very pretty name, I like it with the French spelling & without the hyphen. Another French name I love is Camille, Camille Rose sounds lovely too!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Belles8335 · 11/01/2024 09:46

I have a little girl named ‘Annabelle’ born just after that horror film came out. No one EVER mentions it, connects it, so go with it - it’s a beautiful name. I also like ‘Emmie’ x

fancyfrogs · 11/01/2024 10:05

Would make me think of the film straight away

Ladybird1977 · 11/01/2024 12:01

There’s a lot of agreement on the hyphen but the regular comment about the spelling of Emily/ie is a little strange. Unusually spelt names or those from a different culture are very common in the city where I live and teach.
And I have a name which is commonly misspelled/mispronounced. When it’s important, I correct and when it’s not, I don’t.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.