My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Am I The Only One?

11 replies

Adjacentsquare · 28/11/2023 11:18

Look, baby naming is hard. Really hard. There are so many things that I want to take into account, so many names to choose, and argh, I just don't have the time of day to get through it all.

Am I alone in this?

Some people I have seen to find the "perfect" name so easily, but there just seems to be a never-ending cycle of loving a name and then getting bored after a few days and needing to change it.

Have you had any problems with baby naming at all? I really would love to hear how you maybe tried to solve them, or we can figure it out together.

OP posts:
SallyWD · 28/11/2023 11:37

Don't overthink it. I found it hard because we had to choose a name that worked in three (completely different) countries! That was a challenge.
If I could have chosen an English name I would gace found it easy.
Don't worry about getting bored of a name. Once your baby's here the name just becomes them and you stop obsessing about it.

minipie · 28/11/2023 11:39

Eh? Is this an AI post as it reads really oddly.

Get a list of names - I used the ONS long list. Mark the ones you like. Discuss with partner. Create a shortlist. Leave for a bit. Return and narrow down. Repeat.

KirstenBlest · 28/11/2023 15:45

Pick some names you like. Have a think about why you like it.
If it is inspired by a character in a film or tv series or an actor/celebrity/sportsperson/footballer, think will you still like it when fashions change.

Check the popularity of the name on Darkgreener or ONS, which aren't up to date, but might show that the name is rapidly increasing or decreasing in popularity.

Consider how different people you know will say the name and any diminutives/lengthenings/spellings.

Consider how the name goes with the surname. Google the name.

We went for safe options. The names get suggested on here fairly regularly.

Aquamarine1029 · 28/11/2023 15:50

My husband and I knew at 4 weeks what our first baby's name would be. For our second, it was a total ordeal. We finally agreed but only after I had an epiphany - after my waters broke, on the way to hospital.

Comedycook · 28/11/2023 15:52

Agree you sound like a bot or a journo?

slavicflower · 01/12/2023 13:30

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

slavicflower · 01/12/2023 13:31

slavicflower · 01/12/2023 13:32

sensationalsally · 01/12/2023 14:26

This is how I decided on a name for each of my DC:
I made a list
DH made a list
We swapped lists and crossed off the names we wouldn't consider. That left a shortlist. I then tried each name with "Dr" in from of it. Then I tried "Sir" (all boys). The I tried shouting across the room "Hey XXX, come in, you're dinner's ready!"
If the name worked in all three scenarios, the problem was solved!

theduchessofspork · 02/12/2023 19:40

Are you having a bot baby?!

purpledahlias · 02/12/2023 20:53

We didn't find it hard at all Confused

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.