My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Unisex Name for girls

115 replies

MmeSimone · 30/09/2023 04:20

We're looking for a name for a baby girl and I like names that are unisex or can be shortened to a unisex name. I would like for them to be able to sign an email with no one knowing their gender. I do like classic names but not too pretentious or rare.

There are two catches. One is, we live in Germany and I would like to have a baby name that can be pronounced in German and in English.

Secondly, I don't like it when nicknames are the given name. E.g. I wouldn't ever christen my child Lilibet because it's a nickname for Elizabeth, so she should be christened Elizabeth, and then can be called Lilibet anyway.

We have thought of

• Charlotte (Charlie) (a bit pretentious but front runner)
  • Alexis (Sasha) (exists in close family ATM though)
  • Robin (a bit modern)
  • Jamie (I really like this name but it does not really work in German)
  • Samantha (Sam) (reminds me of SATC)
  • Josephine (Joe) (super old fashioned)
  • Jacqueline (Jack) (a relative we dislike has this name)

Any other ideas?
OP posts:
CurlewKate · 11/10/2023 13:24

However, the usual stereotype of a "judgemental SAHM Karen" is not a woman who finds it frustrating and infuriating that people find using boy's names for girls edgy and strong and cool but girl's names for boys soft and feeble and risible. Rather the opposite, in fact.

MmeSimone · 11/10/2023 16:58

CurlewKate · 11/10/2023 13:24

However, the usual stereotype of a "judgemental SAHM Karen" is not a woman who finds it frustrating and infuriating that people find using boy's names for girls edgy and strong and cool but girl's names for boys soft and feeble and risible. Rather the opposite, in fact.

I would also include people who think they're the ultimate feminists but instead decide to trash other women's preferences and ideas based on some assumptions they make from reading a five-sentence forum post. Maybe that gives you some food for thought.

OP posts:
KirstenBlest · 11/10/2023 17:01

@MmeSimone , what sort of feminist uses the derogatory term 'Karen'?

looking4pup · 12/10/2023 09:01

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

I didn't catch your reply before it was deleted.

CurlewKate · 12/10/2023 09:54

@MmeSimone "Maybe that gives you some food for thought."

Really? To be honest, it's definitely you that's under thinking this one. Wanting to give a girl a boy's name. Using gendered slurs. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

MmeSimone · 15/10/2023 17:31

CurlewKate · 12/10/2023 09:54

@MmeSimone "Maybe that gives you some food for thought."

Really? To be honest, it's definitely you that's under thinking this one. Wanting to give a girl a boy's name. Using gendered slurs. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Can you read? You are welcome to reread the title of my post. Do you want me to spell it out for you: U-N-I-S-E-X .

OP posts:
MrsTerryPratchett · 15/10/2023 18:16

I suppose if you use Karen as a misogynist slur, you'd want to avoid similarly misogynist people doing the same to your child. By using a boy's name.

ChocolateCinderToffee · 15/10/2023 18:20

Evelyn Hilary Vivian Lindsay Ashley

SaticoyStreet · 15/10/2023 19:38

@MmeSimone hey! We have a daughter named Myka. It’s pronounced like the German name Maike I think… it’s my-kah. But we also have a male name pronounced the same which is Micah. So that’s a unisex name you might like?

MmeSimone · 16/10/2023 12:22

SaticoyStreet · 15/10/2023 19:38

@MmeSimone hey! We have a daughter named Myka. It’s pronounced like the German name Maike I think… it’s my-kah. But we also have a male name pronounced the same which is Micah. So that’s a unisex name you might like?

I heard this name recently but it was a female Micah. I think it's nice but a bit unusual with my last name in German, Maike could work though but it's definitely not unisex

OP posts:
MmeSimone · 16/10/2023 12:23

MrsTerryPratchett · 15/10/2023 18:16

I suppose if you use Karen as a misogynist slur, you'd want to avoid similarly misogynist people doing the same to your child. By using a boy's name.

This doesn't even make any sense, lady who uses a male name as her username

OP posts:
KirstenBlest · 16/10/2023 13:33

Terry is unisex @MmeSimone , it's short for Terence or Teresa

MrsTerryPratchett · 16/10/2023 14:36

KirstenBlest · 16/10/2023 13:33

Terry is unisex @MmeSimone , it's short for Terence or Teresa

Grin
Scottyme · 16/10/2023 22:25

Well this is awkward when the OP @MmeSimone doesn't actually know what a unisex name is to begin with 🙈

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.