My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Unisex Name for girls

115 replies

MmeSimone · 30/09/2023 04:20

We're looking for a name for a baby girl and I like names that are unisex or can be shortened to a unisex name. I would like for them to be able to sign an email with no one knowing their gender. I do like classic names but not too pretentious or rare.

There are two catches. One is, we live in Germany and I would like to have a baby name that can be pronounced in German and in English.

Secondly, I don't like it when nicknames are the given name. E.g. I wouldn't ever christen my child Lilibet because it's a nickname for Elizabeth, so she should be christened Elizabeth, and then can be called Lilibet anyway.

We have thought of

• Charlotte (Charlie) (a bit pretentious but front runner)
  • Alexis (Sasha) (exists in close family ATM though)
  • Robin (a bit modern)
  • Jamie (I really like this name but it does not really work in German)
  • Samantha (Sam) (reminds me of SATC)
  • Josephine (Joe) (super old fashioned)
  • Jacqueline (Jack) (a relative we dislike has this name)

Any other ideas?
OP posts:
Whataretheodds · 30/09/2023 12:59

@MmeSimone if it's bothering you so much why don't you stop being unnecessaroly snippy with people who are offering their opinion on unisex names on a public forum, and engage with/ acknowledge the people who are giving you tons of suggestions?

booksandbeans · 30/09/2023 13:04

Lindsey 

NigelTheCrab · 30/09/2023 13:05

Ashley
Courtney
Taylor
Lesley
Cameron
Roberta - nn Bobby
Elliot
Kim
Lindsay

KirstenBlest · 30/09/2023 13:13

If you want a unisex name, go for something that is genuinely unisex like Kim, Eden or Rowan.
If you want a woman's name with a boyish diminutive, go for something like Jocasta (Jo), Jacinta (Jac), Katherine (Kit), Jemima (Jem) etc

Wrongsideofpennines · 30/09/2023 13:18

Aubrey
Rowan
Sorrel
Ashley
Casey
Avery
Cameron
Jordan
Taylor
Morgan
Bailey

I've also met a female Brooklyn recently - combination of Brooke and Lynn to honour relatives.
Don't know if any of these work in German though, and a lot are down the 'surname as first name' trend which you might not be so keen on.

rickandmorts · 30/09/2023 13:20

I think Dylan is nice for a girl and Dill/ Dilly is a cute nickname.

cherryassam · 30/09/2023 13:22

I think part of the issue is there really aren’t many truly ‘unisex’ names - and especially not more classic names

I think the closest would be Rowan maybe

In terms of ‘unisex’ nicknames, I think Sam, Alex or Jo would be the closest from my experience. But Joe would be male.

MmeSimone · 30/09/2023 13:28

Wrongsideofpennines · 30/09/2023 13:18

Aubrey
Rowan
Sorrel
Ashley
Casey
Avery
Cameron
Jordan
Taylor
Morgan
Bailey

I've also met a female Brooklyn recently - combination of Brooke and Lynn to honour relatives.
Don't know if any of these work in German though, and a lot are down the 'surname as first name' trend which you might not be so keen on.

Thanks (and all with suggestions actually), and yes, none of those work in German unfortunately. My surname is quite countryside German and so is my partner's (though he isn't!) so I don't like a too modern or English name with it, one that works in German and holds up well internationally would be best. Front runners still Charlotte and Robin with Robin being a tad too modern for my taste already. I really like Rowan actually but it just wouldn't fit.

OP posts:
Mumofgirls2017 · 30/09/2023 13:37

Quinn
river
eden
Stephanie ‘Stevie’
harley
marley
marlow
Roberta ‘bobby’
catherine ‘kit’
rio
eleanor ‘leni’
olivia ‘oli’
oakley
remy
philippa ‘pip’
riley
rowan
phoenix
alexandra ‘Ali’

dontforgetme · 30/09/2023 13:37

I have a Toni. Her name is just Toni but I do really like Antonia.

sandalsinthebin · 30/09/2023 17:43

I really like Jonnie / Johnnie for a girl

TheHorneSection · 30/09/2023 17:50

I love the shortening of Alix. Wish I’d done that spelling for DD but by the time I heard that spelling we’d already gone for the traditional E spelling.

dayofcheese · 03/10/2023 06:23

Christie

Workawayxx · 03/10/2023 06:33

Lenora - lenny
michaela - mick/Micky
roberta - Robbie/bobby
Georgina - George/Georgie
Judith - Jude
Harriet - Harry

Theoldwoman · 04/10/2023 03:14

Jessica/Jessie
Alexandra/Alex
Jordan
Lee
Blair
Melanie/Mel
Luca
Cobey
Philippa/Phil
Ashley

Scottyme · 04/10/2023 07:36

I'm not down with the unisex name thing but each to their own, it's not my child

The only female Robyn I know is in her 90s and was named after her grandmother and her great great great grandmother so calling it modern I think is a stretch.

One thing, I would say is despite your best attempts at choosing their nickname from their proper name is, you don't get to choose either they choose or its what their friends call them at school. My friend is called Michael and his mum was hoping people would call him Mike only his family call him Michael/Mike, EVERYONE else calls him Mick, which his mother hates.

I know loads of Charlottes only one is Charli, the rest are Lottie or Charl. Charlotte to me is a very feminine name that personally I wouldn't say is unisex.

Ps this is a public forum so people will question everything from why you want such a popular name to why you have x y z restriction.

Ilikeyourdecor · 04/10/2023 08:24
  • Charlotte (Charlie) (a bit pretentious but front runner)
  • Alexis (Sasha) (exists in close family ATM though)
  • Robin (a bit modern)
  • Jamie (I really like this name but it does not really work in German)
  • Samantha (Sam) (reminds me of SATC)
  • Josephine (Joe) (super old fashioned)
  • Jacqueline (Jack) (a relative we dislike has this name)

Of your names, if I received an email from Alexis, Alex, Sam, or Robin I wouldn't know if it was a man or a woman.

I'd assume Charlie, Jamie and Andy were boys but I wouldn't be surprised it turned out to be a girl (although you might find Charlotte prefers Lottie).

I'd be surprised by a girl called Jack, Joe or Sasha. They are boy names to me.

There are loads of girls names which have masculine short forms, like Georgina shortened to George, but if you really want people not to know or assume boy/girl I don't think those meet the criteria.

Others I think meet your criteria are
Pat (Patricia)
Val (Valerie, Valda, Valentina)
Riley
Taylor
Morgan
Frankie
Angel
Divebar2021 · 04/10/2023 08:34

I think Charlotte is a very classic name but not pretentious - not in my circles anyway

The name that immediately sprang to mind is Morgan - which is strong as well as unisex.

i agree with @Scottyme though… you can control the nickname only as far as being a small child. As soon as they start school you will have no control over that.

sandalsinthebin · 05/10/2023 13:11

Oh also Sean pronounced Shorn is lovely for a girl (and lovely for a boy too)

MmeSimone · 05/10/2023 19:21

Thanks all, great names but most of them do not work in German, though Pat might.

Robin is a unisex name around here and very modern, btw, though I do know a few American Robins of a much younger age. I'm just concerned as it would sound odd with the traditional German surname. I know Charlotte is not pretentious in English but it is a little in German.

OP posts:
KirstenBlest · 05/10/2023 19:30

sandalsinthebin · 05/10/2023 13:11

Oh also Sean pronounced Shorn is lovely for a girl (and lovely for a boy too)

It's not pronounced Shorn

CurlewKate · 05/10/2023 19:36

Just so long as you know there is no such thing as a unisex name- just boys names that are used for girls. And so long as you think about the implications of that from a feminist point of view.....

CowboyJoanna · 05/10/2023 20:14

KirstenBlest · 30/09/2023 12:57

@MmeSimone , @theduchessofspork wasn't telling you to change your preference.

The reason I'm saying it is because I know people with names like Nick, Chris and Alex who are women and they say things like they turn up for an interview and that it's obvious that the interviewers were expecting a man, and that had they applied as Nicola, Christina or Alexandra they wouldn't have been invited.

Names like Jamie, Jack and Joe aren't unisex, they are boys' names.

Jamie can be a girl's name
So can Joe, if spelt Jo

CowboyJoanna · 05/10/2023 20:18

Rachel is a unisex name on its own even if its more popular for girls (one of my DS's best friends is a boy called Rachel), but can be shortened to Ray which is even more so

But maybe also consider

Alexandra -> Alex
Samantha -> Sam
Maxine -> Max
Thomasina/Tamsin -> Tom
Benetta -> Ben
Ryan, Kyle, Jordan and Cameron are nice unisex names too

DustyMaiden · 05/10/2023 20:22

My three DCs names are on your list. I never even thought about the fact they were unisex.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.