Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Baby names

Opinions on the name Noah Simon?????????????????????

59 replies

Cheekster · 29/02/2008 19:15

We both love the name Noah and would like to use DH's name Simon as the middle name - Noah Simon but does it have that certain ring to it IYKWIM. Im not sure if it sounds right?

We dont want to ask family about what they think - weve decided to keep the name secret as were fed up of all the comments - theres always some negative comment or two - at this rate we'll never find a name.

Our surname is just one syllable

so Noah Simon (one syllable)

What do you think?

OP posts:

PandaG · 29/02/2008 19:19

like Noah, Simon fine, just not sure they go together iyswim?

purpleturtle · 29/02/2008 19:21

There might be too many N sounds.

hatrick · 29/02/2008 19:21

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

choosyfloosy · 29/02/2008 19:21

Yes, I'd say that for some reason this sounded a little bit odd as a combination. Can't think why TBH. Both nice names. Have any other second names been in the frame at all?

I do think that people's middle names rarely get heard so it's not that big a deal. Having said that, my sister hated her middle name and alleges that it blighted her adolescence.

cremolafoam · 29/02/2008 19:24

Mazel Tov

Jojay · 29/02/2008 19:25

I like it

hecate · 29/02/2008 19:26

I like Noah, not too keen on simon, but it's ok. But I agree that the 2 don't go very well. When you say them out loud, they are very seperate, kind of like a hiccup between them - I don't mean hiccup sound. I can't actually explain it.

However, like choosy says, middle names are not often heard, so it doesn't matter that much anyway.

choosyfloosy · 29/02/2008 19:27

Can't leave this alone. On reflection I think it's great. Sorry.

let it bubble for a couple of days and ignore people like me

Cheekster · 29/02/2008 19:27

Thanks for the advice, Im glad Im not just me who sees the two names not fitting right for some reason.

Although - youre right how often are middle names heard?

Havent told dh that I dont think they go together!

Any suggestions for what might go better with Noah - although would hate to upset dh!

OP posts:

purpleturtle · 29/02/2008 19:28

Can't be the N thing. Noah Stephen works for me, but Noah Simon is lacking something. Could you add a second middle name?

Cheekster · 29/02/2008 19:30

Thanks choosy I think I might have to do that - it doesnt sound dreadful imo and if it makes dh happy then Noah Simon it may have to be!

OP posts:

gemmummy · 29/02/2008 19:31

i think noah simon lovely. my ds is matthew ethan was worried too many th sounds but at the end of the day, it's fine. go with your gut. boys names always harder than girls IMO.

hatrick · 29/02/2008 19:31

Message withdrawn

purpleturtle · 29/02/2008 19:31

I nearly mentioned the thing about middle names not being used a great deal. But then, because I love my children's full names I do actually use them quite a lot. If I weren't quite sure about the names that probably wouldn't happen.

NAB3wishesfor2008 · 29/02/2008 19:32

How often do you call someone by their two names though?

Noah Simon Jones sounds fine.

BTW Wiiiiiiiiiiiise girl not discussing it with the family.

Roobie · 29/02/2008 19:33

Noah Simon sounds good to me

purpleturtle · 29/02/2008 19:35

When I said lacking something in my earlier post, I think I overstated it somewhat. It's hard to explain, but personally, I think I want a harder consonant sound in there - a D, or a J, or a T or something. I think that's why I like hatrick's Noah Stephen more.

Cheekster · 29/02/2008 19:35

I agree NAB3 I just think discussing it with family makes the whole situation much more difficult - although we are being accused of leaving them out!

OP posts:

hatrick · 29/02/2008 19:38

Message withdrawn

Cheekster · 29/02/2008 19:38

Yes I know exactly what you mean purpleturtle. There is just that little something missing. DH's dads name is Terry and my dads name is Stephen (although wouldnt want to use that tbh) but Noah Terry doesnt go either.
Any suggestions for other middle names?

OP posts:

hecate · 29/02/2008 19:39

You know what. I've realised why it doesn't sound right to me.

It's the 'ah' sound at the end of Noah. It creates a -- stop? pause? break? jolt? It's like .... argh, can't describe it! [frustrated] It's an interruption in the flow.

ScruffyTeddy · 29/02/2008 19:40

It doesnt sound dreadful, not at all but Noah Simon...I dont know. Noah is very different and Simon isnt a new name, or a "classic" name. Nothing wrong with either name, but I dont think they sit well together. Sorry!

NAB3wishesfor2008 · 29/02/2008 19:41

It is not usual to discuss names with the wider family. It is not their baby!

I actually think Simon Noah flows a bit better.

hatrick · 29/02/2008 19:42

Message withdrawn

purpleturtle · 29/02/2008 19:43

I think Noah Simon Terry could work. Or is it too much of a mouthful?

Noah David? Noah Benjamin? Noah Philip? Noah Michael? Noah James?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?