My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Rebecca

114 replies

Herefornameideas · 25/06/2023 19:19

Hi

DH and I both like name Rebecca but I am wondering, is it very common for all Rebecca's to be called Becky or Becca? I'm not a fan of the latter two and not sure I'd call the baby Rebecca if the likelihood is the name will be shortened.

OP posts:
Herefornameideas · 26/06/2023 13:21

Cheesenpickleontoast · 26/06/2023 13:09

Becky with the good hair might bother her?

That's not an issue, I don't think so. We can never know what sort of songs will came out featuring other names or what sort of new associations can be made.
E.g. think of the name Karen and what's happened to it over the years 😳🙉

OP posts:
Anoushkaka · 26/06/2023 13:42

My niece is called Rebecca, she is generally called Becky my everyone including her Mum and sister. I always call her Rebecca.

AbsoIutelyLovely · 26/06/2023 13:49

I have synasthesia and the name makes me taste bacon frazzles. 🥓

I have obviously enjoyed this thread immensely!

LancreWowhawk · 26/06/2023 13:49

I have a name that people persist in wanting to shorten. I never use the shortened version, I never introduce myself with it, DH doesn't use it and neither does anyone in my family. And yet, some people just randomly decide to do it, including some who are very close to me, and those that do pretty much never use my full name. I don't dislike the shortened form so I haven't corrected anyone, which is just as well - but I have never understood why people do it. So, rest assured that they will, regardless of whether your DD wants them to.

Which leads me to my other point - even if no one just decides to shorten Rebecca, your DD might decide they prefer it. I know two Isabellas that are now Izzy, despite both sets of parents being adamant that they hate it. And I chose a name for my own DD that can be shortened to something I'm not mad about. I just had to make my peace with that, and I'm happy that she will always be the full-name version to me.

springtome · 26/06/2023 14:03

SophieHope7 · 25/06/2023 19:27

My cousin is Rebecca and once she started school immediately became Becca.... I feel the same about Charlotte (not wanting it to be shortened although both Charlie and Lottie are very pretty). So we used it as a middle name which you could do with Rebecca.

I came on to say the same thing re Charlotte. We loved the name but didn't particularly want any of the shortened versions of it.

One thing I have learned is you can't really control what your children are called if you give them a longer name. It will likely get shortened either by then by choice or by their friends. So you need to choose a name where the short versions are acceptable to you or choose a shorter name that doesn't have any different nick names or a short version ie Lily getting Lil for example, doesn't bother you.

We went with the short names in the end for both children 😀

ObviouslyNameChanged99 · 26/06/2023 23:25

I love the name Rebecca or Rebekah, it's difficult to say if she we be called by a nn or not! If you don't use one then it will be less likely, imo.

I hate Becky but think Becca and Bex are okay. I watched a Spanish series recently and Rebekah was known as Rebé (Re-bay) which I quite liked.

Optionshighlights · 29/06/2023 22:10

I am also a Rebecca and always get called Rachel. I’ve even had replies to emails ‘Hi Rachel’ from people who have already met me at work!!! Bonkers!

I love my name, it felt a bit common at school (another 80’s baby here) but I think a baby Rebecca now would be a breath of fresh air.

Oh and I was Becky at school but have been Bec for years now and I like it.

RuthW · 30/06/2023 22:09

Most are Becca's now.

I have a friend who is a Reb.

regustering · 01/07/2023 10:30

Bexamundo · 25/06/2023 19:28

NC to a very old username for obvious reasons! It’s my name. I do like it. It was incredibly popular in the early 80s and I usually assume any Rebecca is probably around my age! People do insist on trying to shorten it. I’ve never been a fan of Becky or Becca, people close to me call me Bex. I do insist on Rebecca for work (also Becky sounds stupid with my surname). Most people respect that but some people insist on trying to shorten it or call me Rachael 😬 I just persist with saying Actually it’s Rebecca.
It’s a nice name, means ‘Faithful wife’ (or ‘Knotted cord’. Plenty of options for shortening it, go with the least offensive one, it is inevitable 😂

I hate my name being shortened as well. No one has ever shortened it in my family. Maybe that's the reason why.

Peach27 · 01/07/2023 16:48

I’m the opposite and have been called Rebecca many a time! I’ve got cousins Rebecca, Charlotte and Catherine and they all get their full names pretty constantly. If you introduce her as Rebecca she’ll get Rebecca until she decides otherwise. I think a nursery teacher tried Becky but she didn’t respond

Girliefriendlikespuppies · 01/07/2023 17:08

I love the name Rebecca, I have a lovely friend who spells it Rebekah and goes by the nn Rebs which suits her.

AHalfWarmedFish · 01/07/2023 19:44

Experience from family and friends is that even if you call her Rebecca at home, it won’t make a blind bit of difference whether you as a parent like a nickname or not. If your daughter (or her mates) decide she’s a Becky, Becca or Bex it will likely stick. And she may ultimately decide she wants you to call her that at home, too.

So my suggestion would be not to use a name you really dislike common nicknames for, or weigh up whether you would regret using Rebecca if (when?) she ends up a Becky. Every single Rebecca I know (and I was born in the eighties so I know a lot of Rebeccas) is a Becky, but I appreciate this isn’t everyone’s experience.
I really liked James for my son, but I don’t love Jamie so I didn’t choose it. Because it’s very likely he would either choose Jamie or have Jamie bestowed upon him at some point.

Good luck!

SliceOfCakeCupOfTea · 01/07/2023 19:48

My SIL is called Rebecca and she always introduces herself as Rebecca. No one shortens it other than DB who calls her Reb when he's feeling lazy

Bexamundo · 01/07/2023 20:02

Someone at work called me ‘Becky’ yesterday 😬

MayBe6 · 01/07/2023 20:09

My daughter is a Rebekah, she is 12 now. We shorten it to Bex or Becka she likes either one, she’s really proud of the spelling of her name too! We had a long list of names ready when she was born, and when I saw her face I said ‘she’s a Rebekah’ and that was that!

Roselilly36 · 01/07/2023 20:11

Gorgeous, classic name. Most Rebecca’s I know shorten the name. It’s a shame as Rebecca is such a beautiful name.

Makinglists · 01/07/2023 20:13

I'm one - at primary school the headmaster insisted on calling me Rachel and wondered why I never responded!
I like my name it's timeless - I've never thought 'I wish I was called...'

shakespearetower · 01/07/2023 20:27

One of my closest friends is called Rebecca. For the most part, everyone calls her by her full name, although RB is allowed. Becca and Becky? Absolutely not!

I have a three syllable name, one with quite a few nicknames but have only ever been called by my full name. My mother was very clear with teachers and everyone really that my name was not to be shortened or nicknames used.

BeckyWithTheGoodHair010101 · 01/07/2023 20:36

😭😭😭

I'm a Rebecca and have been Becky since I started school, my choice. I also get called Becca, Becs, Bec and Bex.

eatdrinkandbemerry · 01/07/2023 21:00

Love Rebecca but hate Becky so it's a no from me (I've never met a child who hasn't been called Becky once they start school)

MWNA · 01/07/2023 21:04

I'm Rebecca. I get called Bec by everyone and have since childhood.
I love my name.

Snugglemonkey · 01/07/2023 21:08

I know a Reby. Though she is Rebecca at work.

NoYouCannot · 01/07/2023 21:16

My best friend is called Rebecca. Everyone calls her Becky. She really likes her name Rebecca, but she has been called posh by some relatives for wanting to be called by her full name. She was also in a work situation where she was visiting a different office and when she introduced herself the person she introduced herself to refused to call her Rebecca because they said it was too formal for their office, so called her Becky instead!

Skinnydecafflatte · 01/07/2023 21:33

Love the name! 🥰 perhaps biased as my daughter (8) is Rebecca. Her brother, dh and a couple of family friends call her Becca but otherwise she’s Rebecca or Boo (didn’t realise how popular that was as a nickname!) I love Rebekah but we have a surname that always needs to be spelt out so kept with the more common version.

CautiousOptimist · 01/07/2023 22:15

I am a Rebecca too, loads from my birth year, 1982!
I've always been Becky, Becks to family, and I love my name, especially now my married surname also starts with a B!
WHAT is with the Rachel thing? All the bloody time!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.