My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Rebecca

114 replies

Herefornameideas · 25/06/2023 19:19

Hi

DH and I both like name Rebecca but I am wondering, is it very common for all Rebecca's to be called Becky or Becca? I'm not a fan of the latter two and not sure I'd call the baby Rebecca if the likelihood is the name will be shortened.

OP posts:
MarchionessOfMayhem · 25/06/2023 21:17

I loved Rebecca but was put off by Becky, Becca and Bex nicknames. We toyed with Reba as a nickname which I really loved but I just couldn't shake the feeling her name would still be shortened to Becky etc

Cocoaone · 25/06/2023 22:10

My best friend is Rebecca and she gets called Becky, Becks, Beck, Becca, Rebecca, Boo and B by various different people/groups of people in that order of commonality. But she's not keen on Rebecca anyway.

My other friend has a 7 year old called Rebecca and she is known as Rebecca by everyone.

FoodFestfFork · 25/06/2023 22:17

Rebecca is lovely. Becki, not quite so much. It'll be up to her to police her name as she's older. I think of it the same way as Amanda and Mandy. You never call an Amanda, 'Mandy' more than once.

Theoldwoman · 25/06/2023 22:18

It’s one name I have never liked. My cousin goes by Bec.

ApolloandDaphne · 25/06/2023 23:11

Matchingcollarandcuffs · 25/06/2023 20:25

And yes so often called Rachel!

Yeah some of DDs teachers used to call her Rachel. She could never quite understand why.

Groutyonehereagain · 25/06/2023 23:14

I love Rebecca ❤️It’s a lovely name. Go for it.

Brintons · 25/06/2023 23:24

It's my name and I was called Becky as a child but am now mainly Rebecca.
I am 50 I quite like having a younger person's name.
I have also been Becks, Reb, Rebby, B Becksy. Never really Becca.

I also used to get called Rachel a lot but not so much now. I think when I was younger Rachel was a more well known name but Rebecca overtook it in popularity.

ItsHardknocklife · 25/06/2023 23:30

I'm a Rebecca and I choose to be called Becca but i really don't like Becky!

ReviewingTheSituation · 25/06/2023 23:31

Bexamundo · 25/06/2023 19:28

NC to a very old username for obvious reasons! It’s my name. I do like it. It was incredibly popular in the early 80s and I usually assume any Rebecca is probably around my age! People do insist on trying to shorten it. I’ve never been a fan of Becky or Becca, people close to me call me Bex. I do insist on Rebecca for work (also Becky sounds stupid with my surname). Most people respect that but some people insist on trying to shorten it or call me Rachael 😬 I just persist with saying Actually it’s Rebecca.
It’s a nice name, means ‘Faithful wife’ (or ‘Knotted cord’. Plenty of options for shortening it, go with the least offensive one, it is inevitable 😂

I could have written this exact post!

I think it's a great name. Very few people take it upon themselves to shorten it, and I am Becs to just a few people.

But what's with the Rachel thing??! I've had emails, in reply to my email signed 'Rebecca', to an email adress which is Rebecca.surname@xxxxxx, which start 'Hi Rachel...' 🤷‍♀️

BreviloquentBastard · 25/06/2023 23:35

I'm a Rebecca. I've always been Reb, Rebs or Reba (pronounced Ree-ba), never Becky or Becca or Beccs. Anyone tries to call me any of those I ignore them, I really don't like them, especially Becky!

Findyourneutralspace · 26/06/2023 00:05

I’m the other way round and am always being called Rebecca. Us R’s just can’t win!

Hadtocomment · 26/06/2023 01:08

Isn't it just that Rebecca and Rachel were really popular at the same sort of time and both are longish biblical names starting with R? It's like Claire, Clare and Sarah were really really popular at the same time. Very different names but the "air" sound meant they sort of go together in my head.

Rebecca's a nice name. It will get shortened though.

BeaReal · 26/06/2023 01:21

Rebecca's a nice name. It will get shortened though

I introduce myself as Rebecca and don't answer to any shortened forms - I generally don't like nicknames. My sister is Madeleine and likewise never tolerates Maddie or Mads.

Good to hear I'm not the only one who gets called Rachael!

Pemba · 26/06/2023 02:28

But Rachel and Rebecca do go together, Old Testament names beginning with R, and like a pp said they both had a wave of popularity around the same time (70s/80s I think?).

Then there's Ruth too which wasn't fashionable at the same time but also Biblical, well known in the UK, and beginning with R. So in my mind Ruth, Rachel and Rebecca are all bracketed together. No wonder people might get mixed up, they obviously are thinking the same.

All nice names too, some might think Ruth is a bit plain but I like the austerity of it. I like both Rachel and Rebecca (and also Becky actually).

user1492757084 · 26/06/2023 04:58

Rebecca is lovely.

Partiallyclosed · 26/06/2023 08:01

It’s really weird how many Rebecca’s on here are called Boo by nickname. I’ve never been called Boo yet it’s my sisters nickname and she’s called Vanessa!

Matchingcollarandcuffs · 26/06/2023 08:03

Me and two cousins are Ruth, Rachel and Rebecca! All 70s/early 80s

Muu · 26/06/2023 08:57

I’ve met a lot of Rebeccas and they were all Becca or Becky. I’d avoid it if that’s going to annoy you.

it’s a great name though.

Fandabedodgy · 26/06/2023 08:57

All the Rebecca's I know are called
Rebecca except one who is Bec.

It's a beautiful classic name.

Star0Fire · 26/06/2023 10:03

My sister is Rebecca, goes by Becky or Bex
Since she was born she was always Becky

shieldmaiden7 · 26/06/2023 10:08

I went to school with 2 girls called Rebecca. One went by Becca/B and the other Rebe (Reb-bee).

MyZoo · 26/06/2023 12:54

Rebecca here! I'm early(ish) 20's & really like my name. My mum calls me Boo, school friends Bex & everyone else is a mix of Rebecca/Becca, I get Rebecca quite a lot actually. Bex is probably my favourite as I find it quite trendy (some may absolutely disagree, but I'm the only Rebecca I know). 'Becky' I absolutely refuse to be called, I hate it for some reason. People have tried in the past but I have always shut it down. But yes, I'd say go with it.

IsadoraQuagmire · 26/06/2023 13:01

Partiallyclosed · 26/06/2023 08:01

It’s really weird how many Rebecca’s on here are called Boo by nickname. I’ve never been called Boo yet it’s my sisters nickname and she’s called Vanessa!

I used to know a Rebecca who always went by Boo. I had no idea there was any connection.
The only other Rebeccas I've met have gone by their full names at all times as far as I know.

GrouchyKiwi · 26/06/2023 13:02

I'm a Rebekah, and though I was mostly known by my full name, I used to get Bekah and Bek, sometimes Reb. Two people, and two people only, in my life have been allowed to call me Becky: my Oma, and a lady I used to work with who was too lovely to correct.

Now I'm Rebekah about 95% of the time, but my siblings still sometimes call me Bekah.

And yes to also being called Rachel a LOT!

Cheesenpickleontoast · 26/06/2023 13:09

Becky with the good hair might bother her?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.