My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

NEED HELP WITH BABY GIRL NAME - AYLA, KAYLEE, OR ELLA

109 replies

Mom3334 · 07/02/2023 08:51

Baby girl is due any day, and I still have no name for her. Thinking of Ayla, Kaylee, or Ella. Any insight would be appreciated!😘

OP posts:
Pemba · 09/02/2023 02:49

I don't see how Ayla would be pronounced the same as Isla, surely it rhymes with Kayla or Layla? Except in Turkey apparently. It is a little bit ambiguous and characterless though, what about Layla?

Ella is nice but so common at the moment. Very slightly dull though. How about Eloise, Elise or Eleanor?

Kaylee has a pretty sound but lots of people will say 'dated'. Not sure about that spelling.

TheEverdelightfulsamantha · 09/02/2023 09:26

How about Kyla? I work with a Kyla and I think it’s lovely, and combines the sounds of Ayla and Kaylee but without the pronunciation or spelling issues

TheEverdelightfulsamantha · 09/02/2023 09:32

And the only Ayla I know is from the Middle East - and she pronounces it eyeLa - so I was also confused when you said you had a friend with a daughter called Isla - they are the same pronunciation. (I am in Scotland though - where ‘ay ‘ is pronounced ‘eye’ !)

Pemba · 09/02/2023 10:21

How is that though? Don't you give horses hay, the month after April is May, etc? So how do the letters 'ay' sound like 'eye'? Our language is confusing sometimes!

Catnary · 09/02/2023 12:24

I think that @TheEverdelightfulsamantha was maybe making a joke about “Aye” , which we say for “yes”.

“ay” in May, hay, play is not pronounced eye in Scotland.

Pemba · 09/02/2023 12:26

Ohh I see! Grin

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 10/02/2023 02:15

Keighley (kee-lee), town in West Yorkshire

The town Keighley is pronounced Keith-lee.

TheOriginalEmu · 10/02/2023 02:30

ItsTrueLou · 07/02/2023 09:08

how about something else altogether? Out of Isla, Kayleigh and Ella, I'd choose Ella, but it's very overused atm. Apologies for being picky but Ayla and Kaylee are awful spellings too

Ayla is a different name to Isla, not a variant spelling.

Aphrathestorm · 10/02/2023 02:44

Skyler
Iona
Ione
Arya
Ariana
Anya
Mya
Kyla
Ciara
Lara
Tara
Lana
Kylie
Mara
Zara
Vivi
Xanthe
Bronte
Saskia
Portia
Brooke
Raya
Stacia
Katya
Eilidh
Ceilidh
Farrah
Paige
Heidi

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.