My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Who actually pronounced the last syllable in Eleanor like -nor?

166 replies

misslucy92 · 09/01/2023 14:15

This is mainly for people in the Uk and Ireland (or outside of the Us) as I know that in the Us -nor is used.

But I often read that in the Uk people say -na. I don’t know if I can explain it well but I mean -nor vs -na (sort of like Elena is said sometimes). But I only like -nor, personally.

So could I get away with naming her Eleanor and saying -nor in the Uk? Do some of you pronounce it -nor?

Does Elinor change anything?

sort of wondering if I could use -nor or whether I should look for a new name. I like both spellings Eleanor and Elinor.

Also name your region or where you are approximately (only if you feel comfortable).

Thanks.

OP posts:
featheryfancy · 09/01/2023 15:27

Elena I'd pronounce with an a, Eleanor I'd pronounce with the nor.
Obviously similar, but completely different names for me

inquisitorgeneral · 09/01/2023 15:31

It depends on which part of the UK you live in. In England, most accents are non-rhotic, so the letter R is always silent when at the end of a word. So "sore" often sounds the same as "saw". This is a feature of the accent, so changing the spelling will not make them pronounce the R.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland the R will be pronounced.

TeenTraumaTrials · 09/01/2023 16:01

Scottish here - I'd say -nur

There's an Eleanor in my DD's year and her mum (also Scottish) pronounces it Ellen - NOR and it sounds jarring to me

UsingChangeofName · 09/01/2023 16:02

Midlands here.
I would say "Ellen-uh"

As a pp said, she would soon become Elle or Ellie though, so keep that in mind if you only want Elea nor

MickeyMouseShithouse · 09/01/2023 16:04

South west. El-en-nor, but very very light on the R.

PAFMO · 09/01/2023 16:04

As @SenecaFallsReduxand @inquisitorgeneral say, rhotic accents will pronounce the R, non-rhotic won't. Not much you can do if you want the R pronounced other than live in a rhotic area!

ofwarren · 09/01/2023 16:07

I'm lancashire and say the Nor

MerryMarigold · 09/01/2023 16:11

It's my name. I love it. The Beatles pronounced it 'nuh' at the end and they were from Liverpool. I'd be a bit 🙄 at someone with a 'nor' pronunciation who wasn't American. Like walking around insisting that Evian is 'waaahder'. It's much prettier without the 'nor' anyway.

PAFMO · 09/01/2023 16:30

MerryMarigold · 09/01/2023 16:11

It's my name. I love it. The Beatles pronounced it 'nuh' at the end and they were from Liverpool. I'd be a bit 🙄 at someone with a 'nor' pronunciation who wasn't American. Like walking around insisting that Evian is 'waaahder'. It's much prettier without the 'nor' anyway.

The R is pronounced in most Scottish, Irish, and SW England accents as well, for the reasons given. It would be very odd to be eye rolly or offended by such a huge group of people speaking their own language perfectly correctly.
Other non rhotic accents will pronounce the "nor" with a schwa and no R as the stress is on the first E. The second syllable will also have a schwa and not a full /e/ (as in bed)

Ladyofthelake53 · 09/01/2023 16:50

Im Eleanor. Live in South, most people say nuh but i think its because they dont know how to pronounce it properly. Its not a common name, some have never heard of it.

Elea nor is the correct pronunication. There are some people i know pronounce it correctly but many dont.

IglesiasPiggl · 09/01/2023 16:56

I think there are a sufficient number of people who will pronounce it "nur" etc that if the "nor" is important then probably choose a different name.

Lulu1919 · 09/01/2023 17:01

My daughter is Eleanor and pronounce it
Ell a nor

Veryfaraway · 09/01/2023 17:05

I'd pronounce it more ner, but definitely with the r. I'm Scottish.
I suppose it depends on the accent in your area.
It's a really nice name btw.

Xrays · 09/01/2023 17:05

I’ve been told I found posh (🤷‍♀️😆) and I would definitely say “nor”.

Xrays · 09/01/2023 17:06

*sound

Loput · 09/01/2023 17:19

It's my name, I'm from the South and don't say the nor bit - more like Ellenuh but spelt Eleanor.

I personally don't like the -nor and find it jarring and harsher than southern pronunciation but I accept that US, Irish and Scottish people will say it their way . An uncle used to overpronounce the nor a lot to annoy me or tell me off when I was little.

WitchDancer · 09/01/2023 17:21

Midlands, I would say El-an-nor

MajesticElephant · 09/01/2023 17:22

I’m an Eleanor and everyone (including me!), bar one person, ends my name with ‘nah’ or ‘nuh’. Im
in the South East but friends/family from all over. I also don’t like the -nor ending as I’m not used to it and don’t associate it with my name.

MajesticElephant · 09/01/2023 17:24

Also anyone who harps on about the “correct” pronunciation makes me laugh. It’s clear there are multiple acceptable versions.

MoscowMules · 09/01/2023 17:26

Welsh speaker here and Welsh, I pronounce the "not" at the end.

TheBirdintheCave · 09/01/2023 17:37

I'm from Liverpool and the two I knew were both el-eh-nor. I was very confused when I first heard people pronounced it as Elena.

UsingChangeofName · 09/01/2023 17:42

Im Eleanor. Live in South, most people say nuh but i think its because they dont know how to pronounce it properly. Its not a common name, some have never heard of it.

"pronounce it properly" ???? Hmm

Get over yourself.
Having a different accent from you doesn't make anyone "improper".

electricmoccasins · 09/01/2023 17:44

Most people in the UK will pronounce ‘Eleanor’ with the Schwa sound (/ə/) at the end rather than ‘or’.

Whatever you choose, your child will ultimately decide when older how they wish their name pronounced - the one in our family has, and loathes the other pronunciation.

maryofthevirginkind · 09/01/2023 18:01

For me (Derbyshire) Eleanor - ellener, Elinor - Ell in or.

APurpleSquirrel · 09/01/2023 18:06

My DN is an Eleanor - family all pronounce the -nor - we're from South & South West.
However she's mostly called Ellie.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.