Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

First Child - Jonah?

69 replies

Lollypop0101 · 24/02/2022 10:27

So we're expecting a baby boy in a few months and have been set on the name Jonah for a bit however family and friends don't seem too keen on the name so it's making me a bit uneasy now :(

What do you think of Jonah? It will technically be a JJ as the last name will be Jones too haha.

OP posts:
Please
or

NannyR · 24/02/2022 10:30

I really love the name Jonah, but I'm not sure it goes that well with Jones as a surname.

Please
or

MrsBertBibby · 24/02/2022 10:32

Jonah is good, but Jonah Jones is just silly.

Josiah would be better but similar.

Please
or

apprenticewage · 24/02/2022 10:33

This is very outing but that's my ds's name Grin I love it...it suits him! I don't call him JJ as planned though...

Please
or

apprenticewage · 24/02/2022 10:34

And when I say that his name I mean full name! Jonah Jones...i find it goes quite well to be honest.

Please
or

SummaLuvin · 24/02/2022 11:44

I don’t really like Jonah, but that because it’s not my taste, not because it’s objectively bad. If you are trying to find a name you, your partner, plus multiple family and friends all think is great you have an uphill battle ahead.

That being said, I’m not keen on repeated “Joan” at the start of given name and surname.

Please
or

SickAndTiredAgain · 24/02/2022 11:50

I don’t particularly like the name Jonah, but even if I did, I wouldn’t go for Jonah Jones

Please
or

Classica · 24/02/2022 11:52

Jonah Jones Grin

Ah no, OP. Keep looking.

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 24/02/2022 11:52

I was going to say that I like it but then you mentioned your surname is Jones and that just sounds a bit ridiculous!

Please
or

apprenticewage · 24/02/2022 11:57

As much as people on here may think it's a ridiculous name. It doesn't matter what they think @Lollypop0101

My DS is 6 and not one person has ever said to my face anything negative about his name...in fact it's quite the opposite. He's a funny cute little boy so it suits him 100%

Please
or

Jacketandbeans · 24/02/2022 11:58

I like Jonah Jones, sounds cool and will be memorable!

Please
or

user1493494961 · 24/02/2022 12:01

I like Jonah, but wouldn't choose it with a Jones surname.

Please
or

clarrylove · 24/02/2022 12:01

It's a no from me coming from a seafaring area. The bad luck connotations mean people are called Jonahs when something goes wrong. I thought that was commonplace?

Please
or

bluesky45 · 24/02/2022 12:04

Jonah is cute but Jonah Jones sounds like a marvel character, like J Jonah Jameson in Spiderman. Marvel is full of alliterative names, that's what it reminds me of.

Please
or

strawberry2017 · 24/02/2022 12:09

I have a Jonah. I love it obviously.

Please
or

ISmellBurnings · 24/02/2022 12:10

I really like Jonah and there is one at the DC’s school. Not sure with Jones though.

Please
or

nearlyspringyay · 24/02/2022 12:12

Jonah Jones isn't great

Please
or

Somanysocks · 24/02/2022 12:17

Jonah Jones sounds like he would be in a band in his late teens. I like it, a cool name.

Please
or

MGMidget · 24/02/2022 12:18

It is very memorable, if that is what you are aimimg for. Hiwever, consider if it has teasing potential at school and avoid if that’s the case!

Please
or

apprenticewage · 24/02/2022 12:20

@MGMidget as a mother of a Jonah jones I can tell you he isn't bullied in the slightest.

Please
or

DotDotDotDotDot · 24/02/2022 12:20

I’m not keen on Jonah to be honest. The bad luck association would put me off too (as pp mentioned). Jasper Jones or Jacob Jones would both be great though.

Please
or

CrackerGal · 24/02/2022 12:23

I love it, great name & you don't hear it much. I wouldn't worry about having a J surname either, look at Joe Jonas!

Please
or

ChoiceMummy · 24/02/2022 12:26

I wouldn't use as wouldn't want my child associated with being bad luck.

A long-established expression among sailors uses the term, "a Jonah", to mean a sailor or a passenger whose presence on board brings bad luck and endangers the ship. Later, this meaning was extended to mean, "a person who carries a jinx, one who will bring bad luck to any enterprise."

Please
or

apprenticewage · 24/02/2022 12:52

@ChoiceMummy that's funny because my dh was a seafarer and gladly named our son Jonah Confused and we have been on many boats with him and they have had no bad luck so far...

Please
or

Lollypop0101 · 24/02/2022 12:55

I see it’s definitely either a love it name or hate it 😬 I found it so hard to pick a boys when I heard Jonah it just stuck with me! Especially since my OH’s name is jack so I like that they both start with a J!

OP posts:
Please
or

Allsorts1 · 24/02/2022 12:56

I think Jonah Jones is nice! It’s definitely memorable. Jones is a fab last name as really can go with any name.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?