My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

Can MS cause a trapped nerve?

3 replies

LolaDays · 14/10/2020 11:18

Hi
A few months ago I think I trapped a nerve. I jolted and had extreme pain in my mid upper back, for few days. Since then I've been experiencing weakness down one side of my body. I just ache really easily if wiping surfaces or brushing my daughter's hair, need to rest every few seconds.
I suffer from ME and autoimmune hypothyroidism.. For a few years have wondered if something else is gong on, because of my on going symptoms.. Fatigue, pins and needles, clumsiness, spasms, brain fog etc. I suppose this one sided weakness has added to my worries, and am trying to work out if a usual reaction to a trapped nerve or possibly something like Ms? Basically wondered if MS could cause a trapped nerve or if usually a totally separate thing. Sorry if not making any sense.. I did see a neurologist a few years ago regarding my other symptoms, but were put down to ME. Have thought about seeing gp about the weakness but don't know if I'm over fussing, especially during these times. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

OP posts:
Tuesday40 · 17/10/2020 07:50

Hi @LolaDays I guess the answer is possibly, but frustratingly with MS the symptoms are similar to loads of other conditions. A blood test would be a good starting point with the GP if possible as you can get those types of symptoms from vitamin deficiencies. Hopefully it’s something easily sorted like that. If not then I would be tempted to push for a MRI scan if you can get your GP to refer you back to a neurologist.

You’re definitely not fussing the weakness warrants further investigation.

All the best x

LolaDays · 17/10/2020 08:47

Hi
Thank you very much for your reply. I will phone GP. I think unlikely to be vitamin deficiency, because due to my other problems it's not long since I was tested.. I was found low in vit D so take a supplement and also take vit B supplements for my energy.
Thanks again x

OP posts:
N0tthe0nlyfruit · 04/11/2020 14:48

No MS doesn't cause trapped nerves although it could cause muscles to spasm if you are using them incorrectly due to neurological weakness.
Even vitamin deficiencies, post viral issues, lyme disease, lesions from untreated Coeliac disease and many, many more things can cause weakness. Hopefully it is something that will quickly clear up for you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.