My feed

to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Autoimmune disease

Need an endocrinologist who will look at symptoms, not only blood tests

5 replies

BengalGal · 01/07/2017 22:50


I've had hashimotos since at least age 20, maybe younger, and I'm 54 now. Most of my life blood tests and a certain amount of levothyroxine from a GP was all I needed. But in my 40s I got huge hemorrhage-like periods, muscle cramps, spaceyness, dry skin, hair falling out, etc. I finally went to an endocrinologist who said it was all from my thyroid, even though my levels were in the normal range according to the blood tests. I was living in Seattle, US.

He lowered my levpthyroxine and started me on liothyrine in addition. It was miraculous...all symptoms vanished in weeks. For the next three years he would adjust the two medicines up and down, some times because of blood tests, but usually symptoms.

We moved to Switzerland and I tried three different endocrinologists but could find no one who went by symptoms.

Now here in Uk for the last almost two years and I really need someone like Dr. Murray. Does anybody have a great endocrinologist you can recommend? Preferably in England, though I would travel if I had to. Seattle is a bit far. Many thanks.

OP posts:
Itsallgone · 01/07/2017 22:55

I find i have to advise my endo. Can't you explain to your endo the medication that previously made you feel well? I know it's frustrating...

BengalGal · 01/07/2017 23:12

I can try that, but it would be nice if they would advise me! Who do you see?

OP posts:
Itsallgone · 02/07/2017 04:34

Pm'd you.

Itsallgone · 02/07/2017 08:23

You could ask for a list of recommended endos near you from the thyroid uk forum. That's where my endo was recommended.

KatieB55 · 21/07/2017 14:42

Dr Abbi Lulsegged - I think he only sees private patients now in London and Kent.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.