My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

WIBU to still show up to the hospital appointment?

304 replies

Cockapoosforlife · 12/02/2024 19:48

I have a long term health condition which impacts my life considerably, with a sizeable impact on my vision. I have had a hospital appointment scheduled for a while to review the conditions impact on my eyes and to decide if surgery is necessary, this was to take place tomorrow morning. I have just had notice from my mother who I haven’t lived with for a while that this appointment has been cancelled.

WIBU to still attend as they did not inform me and this is the only time I can do the appointment for a long time?

For context I work in quite a high pressure field with my work scheduled far in advance (think 5 years). It also involves working across multiple countries and time zones, to reschedule would place substantial delays on projects. For the appointment to also not go ahead it poses a considerably high chance of total vision loss, as well as raising the risk of unplanned surgery.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1156 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
61%
You are NOT being unreasonable
39%
BreakfastAtMimis · 12/02/2024 19:51

You can turn up if you like, but you'd be wasting your time. If the appointment has been cancelled you won't be on the list so you won't be seen.

Zingy123 · 12/02/2024 19:51

Why did they inform your mum and not you? Have you notified them you have moved. Don't waste your time and theirs showing up they won't see you.

TraitorsGate · 12/02/2024 19:51

Why did your mum get the cancellation, I would ring them, you need to,update your details too.

feathermucker · 12/02/2024 19:54

Why did the letter go to your Mum's house if you've not lived there for a while? That's on you if you're not charged your address. It's understandable frustrating but yes, YABU if you turn up.

hoarahloux · 12/02/2024 19:55

Do you think your mum is lying to you?

BreakfastAtMimis · 12/02/2024 19:55

Also, I doubt your important projects are going to be substantially delayed if you take half a day out to attend a hospital appointment. 🙄

TraitorsGate · 12/02/2024 19:57

I'd ask mum to screenshot the letter and send it to you, do you have access to your medical appointments.

notthesamename · 12/02/2024 19:58

As frustrating as it is, if the appointment has been cancelled the likelihood is you won’t be seen. I recently attended a clinic appointment only to discover it was cancelled. I received the cancellation letter 3 days later.

ThursdayTomorrow · 12/02/2024 19:58

You would be wasting your and the hospital’s time. It’s not fair on the hospital staff either.

Wafflethewonderdoggy · 12/02/2024 19:58

Well I suppose potentially nothing to lose by going along, it may be that they squeeze you in if you’re there but don’t be surprised if you can’t be seen

Hobnobswantshernameback · 12/02/2024 19:59

Chances are there won't be a doctor from your team there so you will have a wasted journey.
clinics are usually cancelled if a doctor is on leave.
and if you're condition is so sight threatening why on earth would you have such a cavalier approach to where your appointment letters go
either your sight is important or it comes a sad second to your oh so important job
bizarre

PinkiOcelot · 12/02/2024 19:59

Pointless just turning up. You won’t be seen. The clinic could have been cancelled for any number of reasons, one of which the consultant is not going to be there so no one too see you.

Also if your problem is as serious as you say, surely it’s more important than a work project!

DaisyCat33 · 12/02/2024 20:00

Turning up won't achieve anything. Your appointment will no longer be on the system so they won't be able to do it. It's probably cancelled due to strikes. If your health condition is serious enough, can't you manage to rearrange? Surely the risk of going blind is more important than your job...

For reference, I have a visual impairment, waited 19 months for an appointment with opthalmology, then had it cancelled due to strikes. It happens. People with cancer get their appointments cancelled.

Cockapoosforlife · 12/02/2024 20:00

Hobnobswantshernameback · 12/02/2024 19:59

Chances are there won't be a doctor from your team there so you will have a wasted journey.
clinics are usually cancelled if a doctor is on leave.
and if you're condition is so sight threatening why on earth would you have such a cavalier approach to where your appointment letters go
either your sight is important or it comes a sad second to your oh so important job
bizarre

Edited

It wasn’t an appointment letter, it was a text message. I don’t why it got sent to her as they have my number on file.

OP posts:
Pacifybull · 12/02/2024 20:01

Why does your mum know and not you? Why can’t you take a few hours off for a medical appointment? This sounds very odd.

Cockapoosforlife · 12/02/2024 20:02

ThursdayTomorrow · 12/02/2024 19:58

You would be wasting your and the hospital’s time. It’s not fair on the hospital staff either.

If it doesn’t go ahead it will end up being an emergency case, there has already been a substantial degradation recently.

OP posts:
MissyB1 · 12/02/2024 20:02

That’s a bit weird, I wonder if your mum has got the wrong end of the stick? Why would they text her??

Allinadayswork80 · 12/02/2024 20:02

Would prob be a waste of time as likely there’ll be no one there to see you!

ApiratesaysYarrr · 12/02/2024 20:03

If it's been cancelled at such short notice, it's likely that a staff member is unwell. If you turn up, there won't be anyone else to see you - if there are other staff from that dept working in the clinic, they will have their own lists full of patients.

I appreciate what you are saying about your Very Important Globetrotting Job making it hard to reschedule, but your health comes first - it would be a lot harder trying to work with damaged vision. No-one is indispensable.

If it is timecritical, the dept will try to get you in asap, it's in your interest to accommodate them.

Cockapoosforlife · 12/02/2024 20:03

Pacifybull · 12/02/2024 20:01

Why does your mum know and not you? Why can’t you take a few hours off for a medical appointment? This sounds very odd.

I am trying to figure out how my mother got informed, I have been a patient at the same hospital since I was a young child so we are presuming they accidentally sent it to her instead of me. I can’t take anymore time off as we have already hit substantial delays with this project, and my employer is not the most supportive.

OP posts:
BruFord · 12/02/2024 20:03

Can you call them and find out whether the appointment has really been cancelled? If it has, explain what’s happening with your vision and see what they can do.

Pacifybull · 12/02/2024 20:04

Would the cancellation show up on the NHS app? Then you’d know for sure.

FriendlyNeighbourhoodAccountant · 12/02/2024 20:04

It could be cancelled for all sorts of reasons, including that the doctor isn't there or the clinic itself is cancelled. I'd phone first thing in the morning and see if they can tell you why but I wouldn't turn up and I'd not expect to be seen to be honest.

Hobnobswantshernameback · 12/02/2024 20:05

Maybe
just maybe
phone and speak to someone who can actually tell you what you need to do
randoms on the internet can only tell you what the likely scenario is
Phone your consultants secretary or the new appointments helpline
it doesn't matter how urgent you are
if there isn't a consultant from your sub speciality there on the day or your actual consultant there won't be anyone to see or assess you

Stardust1985 · 12/02/2024 20:05

I was in the hospital last week with my son and someone in the waiting room had a similar experience to you - cancelled appointment but sent to the wrong address. Hospital staff were lovely and apologetic but the lady did not get seen, despite the fact that she was a young lady with a learning disability and anxiety and was there with a carer. She was sobbing and the carer was begging, but the clinic they needed was cancelled so there was no one appropriate to see them. Absolutely pointless to turn up, it's highly unlikely that you would be seen.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.