Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Arrrrggghh I’ve f**led up - concert tickets

72 replies

Lilysienna1 · 12/02/2024 16:51

Ok, so I KNOW I’ve been unreasonable… a lady was selling Taylor swift concert tickets on a local Facebook selling page. I said I would like to buy 2 for me and my teen DD. Before I transferred £400, I wanted to make sure this person was legit - I have been scammed a few years ago and am very weary to transfer money online. Her Facebook profile was quite open and I could see her entire friends list. We had no friends in common, but a few of her friends are friends with mine. All of her friends are from where we live, lots of comments and photos etc. definitely looked legit.

My 2 fuck ups-

1. I TOLD her in a message that I checked she was ‘real’ as I’ve been scammed before. I told her I checked her profile and she has friends in common with a few of mine… I had taken my time to do this and reply so was being honest with her. But why oh why did I do that?! As now she’s blocked me. I can see why, I’ve got her back up haven’t I. Made it look like I’ve been spying on her (which I had really… my next fuck up is, I TOLD teen DD I managed to get us tickets… she’s now over the moon with excitement and making concert bracelets in her room listening to Taylor swift albums.

I can’t apologise to the lady, or make her unblock me. I’ve been difficult and weird with her, and she probably thinks it’s less hassle to sell to someone else instead. I feel so pissed off with myself. How do I tell my DD I’ve fucked up?! Or WHERE can I find legit tickets for Wembley asap.

so I know I’m BU but would you do the same as the seller in her shoes ? Is it worth me trying to apologise somehow?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

222 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
46%
You are NOT being unreasonable
54%
trevthecat · 12/02/2024 16:55

She is a scammer. Tickets can't be resold yet. And they must be done through ticket master, not bank transfer. You've had a lucky escape

TimeForTeaAndG · 12/02/2024 16:56

If she blocked you I'd bet she was a scammer and you were being too thorough for her liking. Get alerts on a legit ticket swap site and apologise to DD for getting her hopes up, turns out the seller wasn't legit but you're trying your best to get actual tickets.

Sunshineandrainbow · 12/02/2024 16:56

Could you ask someone else to approach her for the tickets

Mumof2teens79 · 12/02/2024 16:57

A legit profile has been hacked to scam people into buying fake tickets.

ChlorineSalt · 12/02/2024 16:57

Anyone selling tickets like this now is scamming you. Do not risk it. You should not have told your daughter 😩

Drummend01 · 12/02/2024 16:58

You haven’t fucked up you’ve saved yourself, resale can only happen through ticketmaster.

Any non scammer who was legit selling tickets would be fine with you being a bit nosey on their Facebook, it’s well known that scams happen so they’d assume you’d check them out first. The fact she’s blocked you shows she was likely going to scam you, and panicked when you had friends in common.

Be honest with DD, you thought you had the tickets but the lady was a scammer. She will be disappointed but it will also educate her on the danger of scammers.

QuestionableMouse · 12/02/2024 16:59

Honestly you've had a lucky escape. Buy tickets from a proper reseller, not some rando on Facebook.

Sunshineandrainbow · 12/02/2024 17:00

Ignore me seems like a scammer after all.

It's sickening
I remember transferring money for Drake tickets years ago for DD. The tickets were sent on email. When my excited dd got to the 02 she was told the tickets had already been used to gain access that night.
Seller had obviously just forewarded the tickets multiple times.
For years I couldnt let the awful feeling go of how disappointed she was.

SummaLuvin · 12/02/2024 17:00

honestly the tickets are so in demand this is highly likely to be a scam. I have 3 tickets and if for some desperately unfortunate reason we couldn't go we already have almost 20 people we know personally between us who we would offer them to. Facebook market place wouldn't get a SNIFF, and that's before my mum says "ooh you know my friend Pat really wanted some to go with her daughter..."

ChlorineSalt · 12/02/2024 17:01

Honestly, I think tickets will come up nearer the time. Remember many of us bought tickets over a year before the actual concert dates. People’s plans will change. Most people will realise they need to sell legitimately via Ticketmaster or AXS. I would just keep checking every day until the concerts. Eg I have one ticket to sell and will do it nearer the time via Ticketmaster. I won’t be the only one.

LIZS · 12/02/2024 17:02

This. Have seen the same post in multiple groups under different names.

Hipnotised · 12/02/2024 17:03

Those scam posts are all over Facebook.

Go and tell your daughter you're very sorry to have got her hopes up but it was a scam.

Crumpleton · 12/02/2024 17:03

This...

Someone has hacked another person's FB profile...you haven't messed up at all, you've saved yourself £400, they've blocked you because you've caught them out.

On another note could you message a friend of a friend and let them know that their account has been hacked, like when it happened to me I didn't know until someone messaged as I'm not one to be constantly checking my FB.

Their password will likely need changing.

SummaLuvin · 12/02/2024 17:03

How do I tell my DD I’ve fucked up?! Or WHERE can I find legit tickets for Wembley asap.

apologise and own up to it, and say you will do all in your power to put it right.

The only place to find legitimate tickets right now is AXS and TM official resale, these are so in demand so you need to constantly check availabilty and cross your fingers you are lucky enough to time it so your search coincides with some going live.

Changingplace · 12/02/2024 17:03

I reckon she was a scammer and you were asking too many of the right questions for her to know she couldn’t get away with it.

Look on Twickets for legit sellers where you get more protection.

Advice400 · 12/02/2024 17:04

Tell your daughter you think it was a scam so have pulled out. Then let her know how often these scammers look legit but have to be very careful and therefore there are no tickets as it turns out you can't resell them yet

Itslegitimatesalvage · 12/02/2024 17:05

Her tickets cannot be resold. Ticketmaster are buying them back and selling them, so anyone with tickets who wants rid doesn’t need to sell through facebook and you wouldn’t be able to use them anyway. Why are you trying to buy tickets from Facebook when the Taylor swift tour has been really bloody clear that you cannot transfer tickets like that so you can’t use them.

Slanabhaile · 12/02/2024 17:07

TimeForTeaAndG · 12/02/2024 16:56

If she blocked you I'd bet she was a scammer and you were being too thorough for her liking. Get alerts on a legit ticket swap site and apologise to DD for getting her hopes up, turns out the seller wasn't legit but you're trying your best to get actual tickets.

This is what I think too. She was about to scam you, and you scared her off.

Lilysienna1 · 12/02/2024 17:12

Update- a friend of mine has just contacted the person selling - by phoning her. And she knew NOTHING about it. Her account has been CLONED. So it really was a scammer!! I feel better about that part now. At least I know I didn’t offend / upset anyone. I got blocked as I was onto them…. So my real mistake was telling DD. 😰

OP posts:
LadyGreySpillsTheTea · 12/02/2024 17:14

At least you didn’t lose the 400! Legit tickets are coming up all the time - DD sold 3 Edinburgh tickets back to Ticketmaster a few weeks back because she’d tried to get tickets anywhere in Europe and ended up being successful in a few venues, so she did the decent thing and put them back in the pile for someone else. There’s going to be a lot of that happening in the next few months. In the meantime be honest to your DD that the woman was a scammer, but you didn’t lose any money so you’re still trying through the legitimate channels. Best of luck!

Lilysienna1 · 12/02/2024 17:17

You were all completely right!! I was very close to being scammed. In fact, if she hadn’t blocked me, I probably would have sent her that money, purely because ‘she’ was local, has friends of friends in common… I will admit I know nothing about buying concert tickets. I’ve never even been to a concert or tried to buy tickets, I just know DD loves Taylor swift so I jumped at the opportunity (completely naive) thank you all

OP posts:
Slanabhaile · 12/02/2024 17:23

Glad you didn't lose any money on this scam @Lilysienna1. I can understand why you feel bad letting down your DD, but I think this can be a good life lesson for her & for you too...... how easy it is to be scammed online and how careful you have up be.

MarnieMarnie · 12/02/2024 17:23

You're going to get scammed again if you carry on being so naive. As soon as I read the first line I knew it would be a fake seller. And handing over £400 to someone with zero recourse is really dumb to even consider. Stay off Facebook, only buy big ticket items from a reputable vendor and if it sounds like a bargain or too good to be true, it's because it's a scam.

RollOnSpringDays · 12/02/2024 17:27

ALL of the fb resale Taylor Swift tickets are scams - every single one. They are getting very good at hacking accounts or creating duplicate accounts to make them look legit. Just tell your daughter it was a scam.

MandyMotherOfBrian · 12/02/2024 17:35

Phew, that was close. So now you need to tell your DD, and tell her everything, and even though she will be disappointed, it will be a life lesson on online scamming.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.