My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to not understand what anyone sees in Paddy McGuinness?

86 replies

TheAverageJoanne · 10/02/2024 09:39

Suddenly he's everywhere? He's the new Ore Oduba/Stacey Dooley/pet project.

I'm sorry I just don't get him.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

194 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
17%
You are NOT being unreasonable
83%
Guavafish1 · 10/02/2024 20:47

£££

floraflo · 10/02/2024 21:17

I also can't understand why he's still on TV. There must be so many more new talented people they could use. The playing up constantly to being northern is so initiating. Same as Sara Cox, her first drive time show was ok but now it's literally exactly the same every single night, all based around her accent and silly sayings.. Their whole personalities are base on being northern and it's so tiresome.

RedToothBrush · 10/02/2024 21:35

BarelyLiterate · 10/02/2024 20:10

His accent is exaggerated. He left Bolton as soon on as he made money, and never came back … but harps on about how great it is 🙄. Peter still lives here btw

That’s pretty normal for celebrities. Cilla Black from Liverpool, Sean Connery from Scotland & Michael Parkinson from Yorkshire all did the same. Got out as soon as they could afford to & never went back while adopting the persona of professional scouser / Scotsman / Yorkshireman.

Or they move to Cheshire....

CaramelMac · 10/02/2024 21:40

floraflo · 10/02/2024 21:17

I also can't understand why he's still on TV. There must be so many more new talented people they could use. The playing up constantly to being northern is so initiating. Same as Sara Cox, her first drive time show was ok but now it's literally exactly the same every single night, all based around her accent and silly sayings.. Their whole personalities are base on being northern and it's so tiresome.

I believe the term is ‘Professional Northerner’ - Kevin Whatley being the original.

mids2019 · 11/02/2024 06:32

@CaramelMac

hmmm possibly.

I think the modern day professional northerners really do trade in their accent as part of their celebrity northerners and use it to create a 'cheeky chappy/lass ' perfomer. Sarah Cox, Vernon Kay, Paddy, Any and Dec etc. have created wealth and fame by exaggerating or at least holding on to accents. The issue I have is that in normal life there is a huge amount of unconscious bias towards northern accents and I think professional northerners add to this by portraying themselves as lovable salt of the earth relatively uneducated types to contrast against 'posh' educated southerners. I think such cliches really grating.

The number of people I have to gently explain to that ant and Dec are not representative of the North East is annoying. We do not all come from.Byker, have NUFC as a religion, drink brown ale etc.

mids2019 · 11/02/2024 06:59

On and Paddy on the radio today boating about having a science GCSE and his co-presenter kicking him for it. Not a good luck if you consider the life chances of a lot of Brits with underwhelming GCSEs. Read the room Paddy

MumofSpud · 11/02/2024 07:51

I thought this too but he is sitting in for Rylan on R2 yesterday afternoon and I thought he was good! Really natural!

x2boys · 11/02/2024 10:16

ExtraOnions · 10/02/2024 18:59

His accent is exaggerated. He left Bolton as soon on as he made money, and never came back … but harps on about how great it is 🙄. Peter still lives here btw

He was a lifeguard at the Leisure Centre until Peter cast him. He has no discernible talent, can’t do comedy, can’t act, can’t write ..

Christine was quite happy to tolerate his behaviour whilst the good times were rolling in .. costly divorce coming up. I spy a Bankruptcy in about 4 years

Well.clearly he's doing something right as they wouldnt keep.giving him shows ,he gained fame through Peter Kay but they haven't worked together in years.

Bluevelvetsofa · 11/02/2024 10:24

They have given him shows, but then they’ve taken them away again. Because he’s messed up.

RedToothBrush · 11/02/2024 12:45

Bluevelvetsofa · 11/02/2024 10:24

They have given him shows, but then they’ve taken them away again. Because he’s messed up.

He's lost shows because people turned off.

He's not well liked by the public for whatever reason.

I don't think it should come as a surprise that this thread is full of people saying they dislike him.

It's interesting to see he viewed as fake and hamming it up and that his treatment of his wife wasn't great.

There might be some lessons in here for the BBC.

MrsSkylerWhite · 11/02/2024 12:46

I knew the name but wasn’t sure what he did.

Really enjoyed his contribution on QT last week. Breath of fresh air amongst the political waffle.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.