Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to think that £500 a month is enough for a child at uni

554 replies

FunnysInLaJardin · 04/02/2024 20:39

we will pay his accommodation and his tuition fees will be paid, so this will just be for food and travel etc

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

380 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
MCOut · 04/02/2024 21:58

I’m assuming he doesn’t have maintenance. It depends. Where is his Uni? Which course is he doing? Some courses are heavier than others and students won’t have time for part-time work. Does he have any expensive hobbies? Is he in bills included accommodation (I’m assuming so)? I’m inclined to say most likely yes, but it does depend on a few things.

laclochette · 04/02/2024 22:02

Depends where they are at uni - London much more expensive obviously. And depends if they get any kind of maintenance loan. I got £600 a month when I was at uni back in the early 2000s and it was ample, and meant I didn't need to take out any loans. I got a part time job and put that money into savings towards a house deposit! A lot depends on how good you think your child will be with money. If you think they'll fritter it away, give them a bit less and keep some back towards helping them buy a house etc.

Testina · 04/02/2024 22:03

FunnysInLaJardin · 04/02/2024 21:55

He will be in Brighton. That is the cost of the private halls

It’s more the cost of studios within private halls - plenty of rooms available cheaper (though still not cheap!).

£500 is easily enough. It’s more than needed - but if you have it and want to give it, that’s your call. But he definitely doesn’t need more.

FunnysInLaJardin · 04/02/2024 22:03

Floopani · 04/02/2024 21:52

I'll be giving our two what we can, but I'm also aware that I had nothing from my parents except the odd food shop or lunch out if they visited. £500 a month seems incredibly generous, but if you can easily afford it then lucky them!

and yes, we can afford it. We aren't minted but are reasonably comfortable.

My main aim is for DS1 to enjoy his uni experience. Not have to live in shitty housing and just about cope. That would destroy his mental health.

I want him to feel he is at home, without actually being at home.

My 2 sisters went to uni in the 70's and both came back after the first year with clinical depression. I think my parents just let them get on with it.

I don't want that for my boy. I can and will support him. So thanks all who said our budget was about right.

We are in Jersey, so home is a train ride and a flight, not quick. He needs to know we are there for him.

Have another boy to do this for in 4 years, so want to get it right first time round!

OP posts:
FunnysInLaJardin · 04/02/2024 22:06

Yesnosorryplease · 04/02/2024 21:57

Are those halls catered?!

not catered

OP posts:
WhyIOughtTo · 04/02/2024 22:08

I think he will be fine in £17,000 halls with £500 a month.

DaisyDaffodil · 04/02/2024 22:10

It depends on the degree tbh and whether you want your children burdened with a student loan to repay. Some degrees don’t leave time for part time work due to placements and it will also depend on the Uni. Between cars to get to placements, tax, insurance, living costs and bills, books, equipment needed and a little bit for a social life it can cost quite a bit more than £500.

cakeorwine · 04/02/2024 22:14
cakeorwine · 04/02/2024 22:15

FunnysInLaJardin · 04/02/2024 21:55

He will be in Brighton. That is the cost of the private halls

It doesn't seem to be

Our halls (brighton.ac.uk)

Our halls

https://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation-and-locations/university-accommodation/index.aspx

Gymsharking · 04/02/2024 22:17

cloudtree · 04/02/2024 21:06

£500 a month is about £16 a day.

If a student is going to eat reasonably healthily and full engage in student life (societies, social life etc) then this really isn’t a fortune.

Posters I think are thinking how far £500 might have gone in their time.

This would not go very far in London. That would barely cove your travel and food in a single day let alone all the other myriad other things students need.

This is an excellent way to leave your child open to being exploited by friends and other adults with a bit more money. If you can afford to give them more, please do. If affords them a bit more dignity and why make life more impossibly difficult than it needs to be? Student life away from home is already difficult enough.

savoycabbage · 04/02/2024 22:20

Are these private halls? My niece was in private halls that cost a million pounds as she went through clearing and that's all they could find and it really coloured her experience in first year as she was with a lot of overseas students who went after the first semester and the whole thing was a bit isolating.

Mum2jenny · 04/02/2024 22:20

Does it cover bills like electricity and gas?

As it doesn’t include food, are you sure you are providing enough money for a healthy diet as welll as the other costs??

multivac · 04/02/2024 22:21

Gymsharking · 04/02/2024 22:17

Posters I think are thinking how far £500 might have gone in their time.

This would not go very far in London. That would barely cove your travel and food in a single day let alone all the other myriad other things students need.

This is an excellent way to leave your child open to being exploited by friends and other adults with a bit more money. If you can afford to give them more, please do. If affords them a bit more dignity and why make life more impossibly difficult than it needs to be? Student life away from home is already difficult enough.

... and if, like most families, you can't afford to give them nearly as much as that, please don't worry. Life won't be impossibly difficult. They may need to get a job, and they will certainly have to learn how to budget - but they will be fine.

BurbageBrook · 04/02/2024 22:24

Seems about right to me, if you can afford it.

justasking111 · 04/02/2024 22:26

£75 per week in 2019. We paid rent and train travel which was on a student discount card. He paid for his phone, working in the holidays.

Y0URSELF · 04/02/2024 22:26

Personally I think it’s mad to pay £17,000 on halls plus £6,000 .

Id take that £25k, use it as a deposit on a £250,000 2 bed flat. * The mortgage will be about £1,300 / month and you can recoup a lot of that by letting out the second bedroom to another student. Then your son will have good secure housing for the duration of his course.

And if you buy it in his name ( which you should ), he will be on the property ladder.

*rough figures of course

Runnerduck34 · 04/02/2024 22:26

yes its loads if he doesnt have to pay accommodation out of it.
I send my DCs at uni £85 a week when they are there which they manage with just fine- maintenance loan goes all on accommodation.
We tend to drive them to and from uni and start and end of each term so their travel cost arent high. However we do pay their car insurance as well.
Possibly if having to buy books, equipment, art materials etc or live in an expensive city or need to spend a lot on transport they may need more, but I think most would manage on £500 just fine and a lot will have to less to manage on.

Beansy8 · 04/02/2024 22:28

This is more or less our son's position too.

His tuition fees and accommodation (including utilities, but not catered) are covered. We also pay for his phone and travel and give him £500 a month for general living expenses. He gets this during term time, but not during the holidays when he's living at home with us. For the first couple of months we gave him £1000 per month, so he could pay for any initial expenses (e.g. annual gym membership) and set up a buffer.

£500 per month is a generous amount and he ends up spending a lot less than this every month. But then again, he isn't big on going out drinking, doesn't have expensive hobbies, isn't interested in clothes.

We made the decision to give him a generous amount so that he could enjoy student life, take opportunities and not be stressed. He has ASD, and living away from home is a big enough step without him worrying about money as well. We are very lucky to be able to give him this cushion. We want to encourage him to eat well and have a social life - things we know he may have a problem with.

So I think £500 per month is plenty. Obviously it's important to consider your son's spending habits, and how responsible he is about money.

Gherkingreen · 04/02/2024 22:29

We pay accommodation, DS gets minimum student loan & budgets for himself over the semester out of that, we don't top it up.
He worked two jobs last summer so has some savings and has just picked up a PT job to work around his lectures.
He's just taken his (very old, v generously gifted by family member) car back to uni so he can get to his PT job, we've paid insurance up front and he's paying us back a little every month. He pays fuel.
We also pay for his contact lenses, (cheap) phone contract.

cloudtree · 04/02/2024 22:29

I agree that people are looking back to their times back in the day. I went in the early 90s and of course £500 would have been a fortune. Now it isn’t. The maximum loan is about £10.5k outside of London. That’s what the government expect them to live on. That’s what kids who are eligible for full loans are on. Those kids who are not eligible for full loan will therefore need about 500 a month to be on the equivalent of the kids from less comfortable backgrounds.

NoSquirrels · 04/02/2024 22:30

If you prefer to spend extra money on his accommodation then that’s the choice, isn’t it? £17K on halls is about twice what you’d expect to pay. Personally I’d be encouraging a less luxury living situation and a bit more spending money if I felt they needed it (although I think £500 a month is absolutely PLENTY).

It seems odd to me that you’re worried £500 a month might not be enough whilst spending almost 3x that on accommodation.

DaffodilsAlready · 04/02/2024 22:30

17k a year for halls is a LOT.
The most expensive catered, en suite halls at DD’s uni were 10.5k. (She was not in them, she paid £8k)
It will most likely be overseas, postgraduate students if they really are 17k a year.
Plus, if your DS moves into a flat in second year, you will need to pay for 12 months of the year, not just the term-time.
DD gets £300 a month from me, plus her phone, which is on top of her accommodation costs. She says that is more than enough, but she can walk every where and she and her housemates meal plan every week. She is very sensible with money and saves what she does not need for her Masters. I buy her clothes and shoes now and then but she also buys her own things. I think £500 would be more than enough.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

owlsinthedaylight · 04/02/2024 22:34

I agree that people are looking back to their times back in the day. I went in the early 90s and of course £500 would have been a fortune. Now it isn’t. The maximum loan is about £10.5k outside of London. That’s what the government expect them to live on. That’s what kids who are eligible for full loans are on. Those kids who are not eligible for full loan will therefore need about 500 a month to be on the equivalent of the kids from less comfortable backgrounds.

But that £10.5k max loan includes paying for a accommodation

Are you seriously saying that if someone’s accommodation and associated bills are already taken care of you think £500 per month isn’t going to cover food, phone and travel? That’s nearly £17 per day. It’s quite a bit better than pot noodles for dinner.

cloudtree · 04/02/2024 22:34

It will most likely be overseas, postgraduate students if they really are 17k a year.

This. You’ll be putting your ds at a big social disadvantage if you put him in these halls. They won’t be full of freshers.

Without meaning to sound like a knob, we are v high earners. We deliberately put DC1 into the middle tier accommodation (v large flat with a shared bathroom (1:2)) because it had social advantages.

multivac · 04/02/2024 22:35

I really am not. I have twins at university now. And I don't have a spare grand a month to give them. So they manage, well, on much less. In pricey cities.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.