Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

What could this be?

6 replies

flopsy22 · 04/02/2024 09:39

Posting for traffic, not a poo troll etc etc.

Every now and then I get this. The last time was about 6 weeks ago so not frequently as such, but often enough to be noticeable.

I start with sudden, intense stomach pain that comes from nowhere. A really gripey, stabby pain that's only relieved by going to the loo and having several, quite violent loose bowel movements. Feel wiped out after.

But at least 24 hours later I get a really tender tummy and it's so noisy. Like an incredibly loud churning, sounds like old pipe work! It's happening right now and it's very obvious and loud.

Initially I thought food intolerance but I haven't spotted any obvious triggers. I know I should see GP but as it's infrequent I'm sure there'll just put it down to IBS/age. Diverticulitis runs in my family and I'm wondering if it could be something like that as the flare ups are intense but short lived. Any ideas?

OP posts:
Wictc · 04/02/2024 09:40

Could be IBD. I would see a doctor and get a stool test.

yaboreme · 04/02/2024 09:52

Google H.Pylori I had similar infrequent symptoms like yours and suffered for months. Thought the same, it will be brushed off as IBS. It was at first, I then asked for a stool sample. It came back as the above.

It's really worth getting checked out, especially if you have other bowel related history in the family.

Hope you get some answers x

flopsy22 · 04/02/2024 10:31

yaboreme · 04/02/2024 09:52

Google H.Pylori I had similar infrequent symptoms like yours and suffered for months. Thought the same, it will be brushed off as IBS. It was at first, I then asked for a stool sample. It came back as the above.

It's really worth getting checked out, especially if you have other bowel related history in the family.

Hope you get some answers x

Is this something you can just pick up or do you always have it? I had a stool sample about 4-5 years ago for other bowel issues and bleeding but nothing was mentioned about it then. The symptoms do sound familiar though.

OP posts:
yaboreme · 04/02/2024 11:44

@flopsy22 I didn't always have it, it just came out of the blue.

I had 2 lots of antibiotics alongside something else and it went. Very odd because I'd never heard of it prior.

Oneearringlost · 04/02/2024 11:49

How old are you?
Even before I read in your OP that Diverticulitis runs in your family, I thought it was that.

flopsy22 · 04/02/2024 14:40

Oneearringlost · 04/02/2024 11:49

How old are you?
Even before I read in your OP that Diverticulitis runs in your family, I thought it was that.

I'm late thirties. My maternal grandma had it. There is no cure as far as I'm aware.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.