Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask who has an NHS dentist etc?

163 replies

girlfriend44 · 25/01/2024 17:43

I am Lucky to have a dentist?
Would be really worried otherwise. Reports that nobody is taking anyone on NHS?
If you haven't got a dentist? Are you worrying about it?
What are people doing ?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

46 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
FutureDays · 25/01/2024 21:05

We did have one but he changed to private only, the waiting list for nhs is currently around 8-10 years in our area, we’ve had to find a private dentist for us and the kids but can’t really afford it

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 25/01/2024 21:11

I have an NHS dentist for which I am eternally grateful.

The practice is slowly changing to private though, I was asked at my last appointment if I wanted to change to private or stay NHS as "Stuart is private only now" Hmm. I said I'd stay NHS. Considering my appointments he spends five minutes looking at my teeth and always says they're great I'm not bloody paying more for that!

PrudeyTwoShoes · 25/01/2024 21:18

I am registered with an NHS dentist, as are my two DC. I was lucky to get my youngest (8 months) added as they shouldn't be taking on new patients but, since he attends the appointments with me and other DC, they made an exception.

DH couldn't get into the dentist and had some tooth pain a few months back. He went down the emergency dentist route and got the tooth extracted for around £20.

SushiSuave · 25/01/2024 21:24

After we moved house last year we couldn't get a NHS dentist. Struggled to even get a place for my 8 year old - the private dentists were offering NHS kids places but only if a parent was registered with them as a private patient. So had to fork out over £100 as a new patient so my son could get a check up!

JaneLawrence · 25/01/2024 21:25

I wonder if dental treatment is free for everyone over 67? Even if they are not registered with an NHS dentist?

@SweetBirdsong no, it’s not. Pensioners only get free dental treatment if they’re registered with an NHS dentist.
If they’re registered with a private dentist, then they have to pay for their treatment.

And of course in a lot of areas those pensioners are left with a choice between finding the money for a private dentist or not having a dentist at all.

greasypolemonkeyman · 25/01/2024 21:29

I do, so do all of my family in the same town. Mine is still taking patients on. Small town in the nw.

UtterlyButterly2048 · 25/01/2024 21:37

I have an NHS dentist but he spends most of his time trying to flog me private treatments, like implants or teeth whitening. Neither of which I would trust him to do. So, he does my check ups but I pay privately elsewhere for any treatment required (fortunately that hasn’t been much) My DH got sick of the hard sell and now just sees a private dentist.

Lollygaggle · 25/01/2024 21:38

JaneLawrence · 25/01/2024 21:25

I wonder if dental treatment is free for everyone over 67? Even if they are not registered with an NHS dentist?

@SweetBirdsong no, it’s not. Pensioners only get free dental treatment if they’re registered with an NHS dentist.
If they’re registered with a private dentist, then they have to pay for their treatment.

And of course in a lot of areas those pensioners are left with a choice between finding the money for a private dentist or not having a dentist at all.

Pensioners do not get free dental treatment on the NHS , only if they are receiving certain benefits the same as everyone else https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/who-is-entitled-to-free-nhs-dental-treatment-in-england/

Charge exemptions are similar in Scotland , Wales and NI except check ups are free for over 60s in Wales and free for everyone in Scotland , everything else you pay for unless exempt.

nhs.uk

Who is entitled to free NHS dental treatment in England?

You don't have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when your treatment starts, you're under 18, under 19 and in full-time education, pregnant, or you've had a baby.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/who-is-entitled-to-free-nhs-dental-treatment-in-england/

NeedToChangeName · 25/01/2024 21:41

We have an NHS dentist, very good service (in Scotland)

Pinkballoon5 · 25/01/2024 21:45

When the NHS dentist stops service, then it's on u along with all tho other thousands displaced to find a new one by ringing all of them, for hundreds of miles

WonderfulCheese · 25/01/2024 22:03

My midwife five years ago told me how important it was to visit the dentist when pregnant.
My midwife now - "are you registered with a dentist"
"Nope"
"-".

I mean, what can she say? Undoubtedly she has been told to tell expectant women yo see the dentist, and yippee it's free, but it's like having a free ticket for the buffet but all the sandwiches are gone when you get there.

I don't honestly, honestly know what the government expects people to do. I don't really see it as that similar to other parts of health, where there might be a shortage of doctors. There ARE dentists,but they can't do the work because of the way they're funded. The government could solve the issue if they wanted to. And since poor oral health can lead to so many much worse health complaints, it makes sense to take care of the population's teeth.

WonderfulCheese · 25/01/2024 22:04

What's worse is when the NHS website says that a certain practice is accepting nhs patients, and it says it was checked last week, and you ring them and they make you feel like you're asking for the moon on a stick because actually "we don't even have an nhs dentist here".

WonderfulCheese · 25/01/2024 22:05

I quite wish the press WOULD pick up on this thread. Front page of the Times.

PartingGift · 25/01/2024 22:16

I left my NHS dentist for a private one voluntarily a couple of years ago. I left the NHS one as my appointments were rushed, they didn't offer a proper scale and polish, and I didn't trust them.

I pay £9 a month, which covers a yearly check up, with x rays if needed, a full scale and polish with the hygienist, and 20% off any treatments if needed. Luckily I've not had to pay for any further treatment yet. The dentist recommended that I only need to go once a year at the moment. So I pay £108 a year, minus the £25.80 which I would have to pay for an NHS dentist anyway, which makes it £82.20 a year, which seems reasonable to me. I spend more on my hair with a £45 cut every three months. Teeth are more important.

Sanguinello · 25/01/2024 22:36

We had a good one but then it got taken over by a new guy. Rather than just saying he didn't want nhs patients any more, he provided a terrible service instead. Was rude, made dd cry, cancelled the appointment i made when I arrived for nhs treatment and tried to flog private treatment instead. I left and was lucky to get a different much better nhs one.

Icannoteven · 25/01/2024 22:47

I have an NHS dentist but they don’t have anyone who can do complex root canals, don’t really abide by the nhs charging structure (e.g charging for cleaning, even when clinically needed, and if you need multiple fillings etc - which I always do due to a hormonal disorder that stops me absorbing vit d - they try and get you to spread treatment out for long enough that it falls under a different course). This has been disastrous for my teeth. They also seem to be pushing more and more private options so I’m not sure they will be NHS much longer.

I actually don’t know anyone else who has managed to retain an NHS dentist since Covid!

Cowsontheloose · 25/01/2024 23:09

jenny1209 · 25/01/2024 19:13

I have an NHS dentist and moved between NHS practices last year without issue. There are five dental practices currently accepting new NHS patients within a 2 mile radius of my address. Assume it’s because I live in a city where the university has a dental school.

Edited

Is this sheffield?

leighanneJ · 25/01/2024 23:34

Me and kids still NHS at the moment, preying it stays that way

Paw2024 · 25/01/2024 23:49

I can't fault mine with denplan
2 check ups and 2 hygienist appointments a year. Always fits me in if I have pain or an issue
Cracked my back tooth grinding and had a filling and she noticed I have some notches from brushing my teeth too hard as a child. So I've had cosmetic bonding on those too
£19pm

I pay for lab fees only so I think they said a crown would be about £90 which is better than paying full private prices

StrawberryWater · 25/01/2024 23:57

I have am NHS dentist. He's great.

Dh's dentist has just kicked out NHS patients so I'm lucky I didn't change my dentist when I moved in with him.

Starabella · 26/01/2024 00:15

I tried to find an NHS dentist when I moved area but no luck so kept my one I had in my old area. It's a 1.5 hour drive but worth it for the sake of the children. They took dd on even though they were full and she has already said that she will put ds on the list to get braces so I am very grateful.

On the other hand, I cracked my wisdom tooth last week and the root canal/filling thingy is hanging out. Every time I chew, it cuts into my gum. They were trying to tell me I had to wait until April! Finally, after much pleading, they agreed to see me next week.

They also do not clean your teeth anymore, you have to pay £85 for the hygienist.

Groovy48592747 · 26/01/2024 02:37

I have an NHS dentist. However when I moved there were no local dentists taking NHS patients so my dentist is where we used to live.

The partners have retired though and my regular dentist also left. It's been bought by another dentist and the website has gone more glamorous, mentioning private treatments etc, where the surgery used to do bog standard NHS work. So unsure how long it will stay NHS.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Paintmybathroom · 26/01/2024 05:11

Yep, another one here with an NHS dentist in the West Mids.

I have found that the 'bedside manner' of mine is definitely worse than other dentists I've had before though - my bum is barely in the chair for 90 seconds and I'm always given a lecture on the way out for daring to eat sugar (despite only having one filling at age 40 🤷‍♀️). But I guess I'm willing to put up with that!

Toomuchgoingon79 · 26/01/2024 05:35

I had an NHS dentist, but missed an appointment when I was in a mental health crisis under the care of the home treatment team. I was thrown off the books. So I’ve had to go private in the same practice, and I’ve just been quoted £800 for work I need doing.

orangesquare · 26/01/2024 09:41

I have one but they’re not great and I feel like I’m being treated as a second class citizen as an NHS patient.

I used to go to a wonderful surgery but they were closed down and I was transferred to this one. I ended up having to wait three years for a check up despite having been seen six monthly by my old dentist as I have weak teeth.

Unsurprisingly my first check up in years revealed that I needed treatment; I was told if I paid privately with the same dentist I could have it done pretty much straight away, if I waited for an NHS slot it would be three months. I waited and had the treatment done on the NHS as the private quote was £600+. They also told me NHS treatment would be more likely to fail…

They said they only do NHS check ups yearly, that if I wanted six monthly check ups to catch any issues early I’d have to pay privately. I called later in the year to book my yearly check up and was told they’d changed the policy again. Because I’d had treatment on a tooth three months after my check up - even though that was due to their waiting times and they hadn’t looked at any other teeth - the year wait had to start from then 🙄

My DC are being treated the same. One has an enamel condition (lack of) and used to be seen six monthly for fluoride treatment. They refuse to see them more than once a year.

At least I have an NHS dentist I guess. Though at my last check the dentist said they’re likely to go completely private before long.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.