Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

French class

22 replies

Frenchix · 16/01/2024 20:58

A local cafe runs various clubs & lessons in their back room French lessons start this week I’ve just found out that one lady is planning if on bringing her dog to the class although I knew they allowed dogs in the cafe wasn’t expecting there to be dogs in the classroom I’ve a phobia of dogs after witnessing a nasty unprovoked dog attack as a child don’t think I can’t be in an enclosed environment with a dog. AIBU to think it’s not really the place to have a dog just the one supposedly this week but who’s to say more people will feel it’s ok to bring their dogs too.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

56 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
34%
You are NOT being unreasonable
66%
WhimsicalMoth · 16/01/2024 21:30

If they allow dogs in the cafe then it's fair they allow them in all other areas of the cafe, including the classroom.
If it's dog friendly then it's dog friendly.

TooOldForThisNonsense · 16/01/2024 21:31

YANBU

I don’t know why people have to take dogs everywhere these days.

CaptainMyCaptain · 16/01/2024 21:33

WhimsicalMoth · 16/01/2024 21:30

If they allow dogs in the cafe then it's fair they allow them in all other areas of the cafe, including the classroom.
If it's dog friendly then it's dog friendly.

This. Don't go if you don't like it.

Dacadactyl · 16/01/2024 21:34

I'm with you OP, I think it's totally ridiculous.

IsThePopeCatholic · 16/01/2024 21:44

@TooOldForThisNonsense Totally agree. I’m fed up with smelly dogs everywhere.

idontlikealdi · 16/01/2024 21:50

If it's dog friendly it's dog friendly 🤷‍♀️

RatatouillePie · 16/01/2024 21:50

It's your phobia that needs dealing with.

You're far more likely in your lifetime to be assaulted by a human than a dog!

Most dogs are lovely and harmless. You're missing out on life over an irrational fear.

KnickerlessParsons · 16/01/2024 21:54

RatatouillePie · 16/01/2024 21:50

It's your phobia that needs dealing with.

You're far more likely in your lifetime to be assaulted by a human than a dog!

Most dogs are lovely and harmless. You're missing out on life over an irrational fear.

Most humans don't jump up at you and slobber over you, smell and leave hair all over you.

Phonedown · 16/01/2024 21:59

Poor dog. Being dragged to a french class with a bunch of strange people.

Maybe borrow a friend's Boa Constrictor???

Yanbu op but I fear that in this case it's entirely up to the cafe owner. Maybe find a french class in a local college who will probably have a more sensible approach to allowing pets in the class.

Nchanged89 · 16/01/2024 22:02

But what if it is a poodle or French bulldog and would add to the whole French experience?

Phonedown · 16/01/2024 22:04

@Nchanged89 🤣🤣🥖🐩🐩🐩

Myhubbyisasweetheart · 16/01/2024 22:04

@RatatouillePie

Harmless yes, lovely err.... no. Disgusting, yes

Skybluecoat · 16/01/2024 22:07

I would imagine they will refund you if you explain you have a phobia, but if you know the venue is dog friendly you probably should have checked.

Jook · 16/01/2024 22:19

Je m’appelle Toby et je suis un chien…

CaptainMyCaptain · 17/01/2024 11:01

Most humans don't jump up at you and slobber over you, smell and leave hair all over you.

Actually, most dogs don't either. My dog isn't particularly interested in other people but I wouldn't take her to a French class because I don't think she'd enjoy it.

Rookie93 · 17/01/2024 12:27

I go to a craft group at a local college and one of the members has a guide dog. During the class the dog's off duty and while she mostly lies quietly occasionally wanders around as she's curious. She doesn't slobber or jump up but she's in class and has every right to be there. OP is likely to meet dogs out and about, it will really be difficult to avoid them.

ManateeFair · 17/01/2024 13:45

I don’t think it’s up to you to decide what ‘the place for a dog’ is. The cafe allows dogs. Therefore they have decided that it is the place for a dog. Maybe some people might think a cafe isn’t the place for a French class.

Either way, if your phobia is so severe that you can’t be in a room with a dog, then I think you need some serious help with managing that. There are lots of enclosed spaces that have always allowed dogs, so this must be a real issue for you. But is your issue, not the dog owner’s and not the cafe’s.

ManateeFair · 17/01/2024 13:47

This has literally never happened to me in a pub, cafe, shop, public transport or indeed anywhere except in people’s homes. Most dogs absolutely do not do this.

WhingeInTheWillows · 17/01/2024 14:01

I’d love to take my dog to this, though she is a dachshund so might prefer to learn German.

Phonedown · 17/01/2024 18:24

I've had to start wearing really shit leggings when I'm out walking due to the number of dogs who jump up on me. I love in a semi-rural village and the amount of absolute bampots who got lockdown dogs but don't know how to train them or look after them properly is off the scale. Every second post on our local facey page is about dogs!

bridgetreilly · 17/01/2024 18:28

I think that since the venue is okay with dogs you shouldn’t have assumed there would be none in the class. At my art class there is usually a dog who spends the time asleep under the table and everyone is happy to have him there.

Phonedown · 17/01/2024 20:26

I think most normal people would assume there would be no dogs at a French class.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.